Reading to Staines - 20 Thames Bridges - 19th May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
lilolee

lilolee

Guru
Recce'd the Staines end this morning. Found an easy route from station without having to carry bikes over the footbridge. At 10 in the morning I am going to assume the route to the first bridge is likely to be quiet so main road it to Staines Bridge.

Also we won't be able to go through Dorney Lake due to Triathalon events all weekend, but just a minor diversion.

OP
OP
lilolee

lilolee

Guru
Met Office can't seem to make up it's mind. Now it is only cloudy all day.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
Really sorry but I won't be joining you after all as I'm seriously behind on my coursework and have a load to hand in on Tuesday. Hope the ride goes well and I'll definitely be up for it if there's a repeat.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Another great day out. Contrary to the forecasts, the sun shone and we enjoyed the best Sunday, weather-wise in, ooh, ages.
Thank you Lee for an interesting route along the posher reaches of Old Father Thames. Thank you also Davy, Steven and Rachel for the company. A hidden gem of a lunch stop in Little Marlow fuelled a 47 mile outing with 183 metres of climbing. Contrast that with the 1400+ we had last week! Mind you, I had considerably more in the 18 miles riding home from Slough. 85m total for the day for me.
I now need a beer and a bath, followed by last night's Doctor Who.

OP
OP
lilolee

lilolee

Guru
Ha, I've just had shower, tea and watched Dr Who.
I ended up with 64 miles and 124m of climbs. Surprisingly tiring due to a few miles of off road riding, walking and a bit or carrying. (and bad nights sleep due to this being my first lead ride)
My ride, but I have to say I was very pleased with the way it went. Arrived at the lunch stop at exactly when I imagined we would and Reading slightly ahead of schedule (we did miss out Caversham Bridge though)
In the end of the 22 bridges we could have crossed we actually crossed 15 and of those missed 7 we could have touched 5 of them.

So many thanks to Stephen, Rachel, Charlie and Davy for joining me today.

I'm already looking at an Oxford to Reading crossings journey.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
What a fab little ride that was, many thanks one and all for the ride and great company.

Many highlights, of which it all started with the replica Hurricane, ( I think Charlie said he took a piccy? ) but plenty to see and take in, well, when my head wasn't bumping up and down from all the vibrations. Hence forth, skinny tires and a track frame will not be used on anything other than smooth A-Road..

But yes, really good ride, thank you again.

Timings :-

Apx 5hrs, from Twickers to Reading..
Apx 1hr 50 from Reading to Twickers via the lovely fast A4.

My body, battered, and not very nicely, unlike the Cod at the half way stop, yum!

Top Bottom