Reading to Staines - 20 Thames Bridges - 19th May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lilolee

Guru
A silly idea for a ride, so thought I might put this out there.

Trying to cross all crossing points on the Thames between Reading and Staines. So roads, locks and footpaths. 45 miles in total, this won't be fast since there are some points of hardpack off-road and walking. Only 1 of the 20 I will not be looking to cross and that is the A404 by Marlow, a couple of others will just be walk overs and then back.

So if you want to cross the Thames a points you didn't know existed, cycle on the M4 (yes really), see where we won Gold's in the Olympics come join me.

Starting at Reading Station 10:00am, have a lunch break at Jenners Cafe in Maidenhead by Boulters Lock, and then on to Staines. Plenty of trains from Paddington to Reading and easy back to Waterloo from Staines or the hardy will cycle home.

Cycled most of this, so I know it is do able, so here is the tentative route, but I will see if we can even avoid Remenham Hill and go through the Caravan Park at Hurley.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2465323

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
This looks great, Lee. I'm up for it if I can work out getting to Reading for 10:00.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Mrs W pointed this out to me, so two possibles here, assuming we can either work out a part-driving strategy or else brace ourselves to ride to Reading. Presumably one for touring tyres rather than skinny?

And can I be a pedantic so-and-so and point out that you're missing out all the railway bridges?

OP
OP
lilolee

lilolee

Guru
Mrs W pointed this out to me, so two possibles here, assuming we can either work out a part-driving strategy or else brace ourselves to ride to Reading. Presumably one for touring tyres rather than skinny?

And can I be a pedantic so-and-so and point out that you're missing out all the railway bridges?
I'll let you do them.

My skinnies were ok on patches that I will avoid, but leave your 50mm Carbon deep rim at home. Lots of Sustrans and Thames Path so very variable under tyre. If it rains and gets muddy there may be some doubling back to get back onto road.

I can reverse the route ie Staines to Reading if it is more convenient.

gbs

Guru
Have s/s bike with marathon tyes so am ready to roll. Reversal of route will suit me better but pay no attention! I have assuredly failed to consider some previous commitment for lunch or whatever.

PS will you include the weir crossing at Medmenham?

OP
OP
lilolee

lilolee

Guru
Lunch will be whereever we are near at about 1:00, so reversal of route is fine. Didn't know you could cross at Hurley.

gbs

Guru
I misled you. I mean about 2k upstream from Medmenham there is a foot path/bridge at Hambledon Lock - Mill End on the N bank (Bucks side) and about 1k from Aston (by foot path) on the other side. I have plans to use it later this year to visit friends in M'ham and Aston but they have not vouched for its feasibility for bikes even if pushed.

OP
OP
lilolee

lilolee

Guru
Ah Hambleden Lock, scene of death in Midsomer Murders. Yes we are crossing that.

There are 24 crossing points. 4 are Rail bridges so obviously we won't cross those. 3 I won't be crossing, the Marlow ByPass due to safety, Temple and Bourne End rail Bridge due to logistics. However I have included 2 semi crossings Cookham Lock and Old Windsor Lock. I would like to visit Marsh Lock, which looks like it can be crossed if you own the property on the adjoining Island.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Ohh, this is rather interesting, Lee.

I am free now that day so you should be able to count me in please.

OP
OP
lilolee

lilolee

Guru
Excellent news Mr Nuts.

I would like opinions on whether to stick to Reading->Staines or reverse it. gbs prefers Staines start, DW lives in Staines and either is good for me. Which is easiest for charleib and srw?

OP
OP
lilolee

lilolee

Guru
This is 50 miles max and no hills. But given the condition of some of it and parts where we must walk :whistle: I think it may take 6 hours including refreshment stops, so dead slow.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
No hills? I'm sure I saw one near Henley.

A Staines start is fine for us.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Not crossing over at Windsor, Lee...by the Chocolate Theatre somethingorother Cafe? (Scene of my last date with Davy..mwah!:smooch:) "Bollards!"

Awww, those were great times...

Now, Lee, I may have done a booboo.. It seems my sister wants to move that day.. I have said she can move the day before, and ill help. So, this should be fine.

And, for those that want to cycle back to Staines/London, I can lead it back if need be. No hills, I promise. :whistle:

Top Bottom