Please help an enthusiastic newbie with first road bike choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EckyH

Who will maintain the bicycle? Which technologies is that person willing to master?
Example: despite having some years of experience as a mechanic of a local bike club 35 years ago and did work for a bike shop until 15 years ago I avoid internal cable routing, modern bottom bracket "standards", propriatary seat posts, electronic shifting, hydraulic disc brakes and "thru axle" (sic!) wheels - for the bicycles in this household. So if someone asks me to help maintaining a modern bike I couldn't do that.

Frame material. You've gone for two carbon bikes above. Including aluminium frame bikes will give you a wider choice.
This is aggravated by the fact that in general (!) bikes with aluminium frames and comparable components are a bit cheaper than bikes with carbon frames.

Another thought: how about a second hand cyclocross bike? They offer a lot of tyre clearance. Therefore adding mud guards is easier than on tight road racing frames. Some (eg. the 2013 Ridley X-Bow) of them have threads for mud guards. Most components are compatible with road racing bikes.

E.

Lone Wolf

Über Member
What about a second hand classic Steel framed bike ?

Top Bottom