PC fettling and repairs thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lid sensor failure, maybe? How old a mchine, and how often is it opened/closed?
Circa 7 year old HP
Opened/closed when it's started/shut-down
(not as a 'sleep' function)

PLUS
When it restarts, it only reopens one window/tab/whatever it's called (Edge homepage) with a 'box' asking me if I want to open the tabs that were open last time
It used to open them all automatically.............. Is that a settings function?

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
My ancient-but-capable desktop has really been dragging its arse recently - taking ages to open files, programs etc.

Earlier I had the side off, blew out all the dust with my tubeless tank (spoiler - didn't hold a lot of air even at 200psi), unplugged and re-attached the cables to the primary drive, removed and re-seated all the RAM.

Now for whatever reason it's back to how it was and feels really snappy - despite being 15yrs old :smile:

Circa 7 year old HP
Opened/closed when it's started/shut-down
(not as a 'sleep' function)

PLUS
When it restarts, it only reopens one window/tab/whatever it's called (Edge homepage) with a 'box' asking me if I want to open the tabs that were open last time
It used to open them all automatically.............. Is that a settings function?
Hmm, might be. I don’t use Edge myself, so none too familiar with the settings. But the tabs issue - probably settings. As for the lid-closed power-up, less sure. Is the machine fully updated? If not, I'd do a very thorough backup, make up a new installer USB stick, and do a clean reinstall. Or, if you've kept it reasonably updated, there's a refresh function which might help. That won't *require* a backup, but I'd do one just the same...

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
PLUS
That's Edge telling you that it didn't like the way it was shut down. I have a love/hate relationship with Edge (because it creates so many separate processes), so when my PC starts to slow down I use a task killer to stop them all, and then I get the "Restore?" prompt when I restart it.

Shutting down Edge normally does indeed open all the previously open windows automatically.

The above might be a clue as to what your laptop thinks you want it to do when you close the lid.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Does Edge have any processes running when you press the shutdown button (you can check with Task Manager/Processes before doing so) ?

Dadam

Über Member
@DaveReading

I always close it down with shutdown/turn off button

No closing of the lid/screen

Power buttons don't necessarily initiate a shutdown. The default is usually sleep or hibernate (on my work Dell with W11 it's Sleep). Have you been into the power management settings? Control Panel --> Power Options --> Choose what the power buttons do. As mentioned this is on my work laptop and I don't have a W10 machine handy as I'm in the office.

Also you can see what event turned it on and when it did. Look at Event Viewer (type event in the search box and it should come up as the first match)

Oddly/curiously
I had it on earlier, using the 'shut-down' button, about 09:30
I then left the screen up
I closed it about 10:45, it didn't 'wake-up':wacko:

Regardless of settings, I always have a Shutdown shortcut on the taskbar and use that. Don't shut lids until death is confirmed! I use a desktop mainly, however, so rarely interact with lid settings.

classic33

Leg End Member
Any suggestions on how to get past the account log in on Windows Vista. Or access the administrators account, to bypass the login screen, then make changes from there.

Top Bottom