oil for bike chain the best to use ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
KY Jelly.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
i tend to use a dry grease to lube my chain. wondering what everyone go to was ? for best protection

Finish line dry in the summer, and wet in the winter.
Sometimes this----
20201015_141459.jpg

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
You will find many threads on this across cycling and motorcycling forums. In the past I've used old motor oil, spray grease, wd40, white lithium grease, basically whatever I have to hand. The greases tend to stay on longer and not flick off, but are more expensive, especially if you buy a dedicated branded grease that can be up to £15 a can. But with the drier, stickier greases, dirt and grit can stick to them. You don't get that with runny lubes but they also drip off quicker. So, whatever you like really. Anything is better than nothing. And don't get started on whether or not WD corrodes the rubber gaskets in the chain!

Reactions: C R

sleuthey

Legendary Member
What ever I drain out the sump of the car every year.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You may get some sarcastic answers because this is a common thread subject.

Something >> Nothing.
Any kind of lubricant and cleaning is infinitely better than a dirty unlubed chain.

Of the different kinds of "something" there is room for endless argument. But really they're all much of a muchness. I use Finish Line Ceramic lube cos that's what I've used for ages and nothing bad has happened to me as a result. I also have a couple of bottles of random stuff from Halfords that I've bought and which hide in my garage and occasionally make themselves known.

Maybe I could have saved myself a few quid over the years using chainsaw oil, maybe it would have had the same lubrication effect, maybe it would have been 0.01% better. Or maybe 0.03% worse. Who knows, who cares.

Just use some stuff. It's way better than not using stuff. Stuff is good.

The oddball in all this is using wax. I've never used a chain waxing system but I've been on here long enough to know that it really polarises opinions and is always good for a long argumentative thread. "I use a waxing system and it works well" vs "you are an idiot wax is not a lubricant".

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Maybe I could have saved myself a few quid over the years using chainsaw oil, maybe it would have had the same lubrication effect, maybe it would have been 0.01% better. Or maybe 0.03% worse. Who knows, who cares.
That is the one thing I tried which I quickly decided to never use again! I got stands of thick gloopy chainsaw oil thrown all over the bike.

It is cheap, but I thought it was nasty. Which reminds me... I bought a big container of the stuff. If I haven't already disposed of it I will donate it to my sister to use on her chainsaw.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have used Finish Line wet for years.
It tends to drip a bit from the trike chain tubes for a few days but old newspapers under it catch any drips.

Chainsaw oil here.

The trick, @ColinJ is not to apply too much at any one time. After cleaning the chain, I then pour about a teaspoon onto a rag and run one side of the chain through that, and then I repeat for the other side. Holding the rag around the chain means that a) the warmth of my hand makes the oil more runny, b) the oil then gets to where it needs to go, and that c) any excess gets wiped off.

FYI, I use the generic chainsaw oil that my local agricultural supplier sells in gallon containers. Oh yeah, and I I use it for my chainsaw too.

Top Bottom