No Cycling Road Signs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joggingbob

Ok - this is probably a stupid question but.... A " No cycling" sign on a road means, of course, no cycling but assuming this applies from where the sign is placed by the road, when can cycling resume i.e. is it at the end of that road, (which may be very very long).

For example speed limit signs apply until you reach the next speed limit sign, (assuming you haven't turned off onto another road where a different limit applies but that is then normally signposted or noted in some way). A no right turn will generally apply to the next road junction on the right.... etc What about no cycling signs?

Tynan

Veteran
'national restrictions apply' I'd have thought, that one with the black diagonal line on a black circle

OP
OP
J

joggingbob

I appreciate my post is a bit garbled but as an example, cycling in town where the speed limit is 30, come to a no cycling sign. As such I should stop and take an alternate route. If, theorectically, I stayed on the original road when am I legally allowed to cycle again? I assume not waiting for a national speed limit / restrictions sign as that could be many miles and roads later.

I think these signs will be promptly ignored by most, what is the council going to do? Send a fine in the post to the owner of the lycra clad bottom?

Around here the police are the worst culprits for pavement cycling, or cycling the wrong way down one way streets, or cycling through pedestrian only areas, they're not exactly a good example of following the rules so how likely will they be to enforce them?

"A" road ask Dft / tfl (if in London) for clarification - else ask council
Are you sure it’s not the end of a shared cycle path – there is one in Richmond (on the A316 heading East into town at the junction with Marksbury Av
View Larger Map">link) No cycling sign on a lamppost next to the road referring to the cycle path that ends BUT is occasionally misinterpreted by car drivers to mean no cycling on the road – with consequential barrage of abuse for the occasional enraged motorist

crumpetman

The only one I regularly see is in front of an underpass (with a roundabout above) and cyclists have to take the slip road and rejoin the main road via the roundabout. I am not aware of there being another sign showing that you can resume cycling but it should not be necessary in this case.

OP
OP
J

joggingbob

I am not overly concerned for where it impacts me on my commute, I have an approach. I also appreciate that it is unlikley that I would be stopped but have pondered my question for a while and would like to know generally, (not just my local council), how they are meant to be applied. I assumed it was me and that there was an obvious answer but it is refreshing that others are equally unclear :-).

First junction with another road that you could have legally been cycling on? Anyone joining from that road would also need a no cycling sign, so if there isn't one, fair game?

Off on a slight tangent - we've all seen the "cyclist dismount" signs but theres never anything to say when you can cycle again (or at least i've nevewr seen one).

Velorution%20-%20Cyclists%20dismounts%20sign.jpg

OP
OP
J

joggingbob

Twickenham cyclist :-) slight overload of signs there! Where I have seen the two local signs there are no dedicated cycle routes or shared facilities. One of them does have a sign post just beyond the No Cycling sign to point to a preferred cycle route by taking a left turn, although it effectively is almost opposite direction to my planned destination. SavageHoutKop - you are on the same thinking as me ! Rich K - fair point.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Parkway at Sheffield, its a dual carriageway. The local byelaws prohibit cycling and all entries have the cycle on a circular, red edged, white background. I can't remember the exact wording, but the ones I saw all had an explanatory text sign underneath.
Yet when I commuted to Sheffield by car I could guarantee seeing one (usually BSO) a week - and yes I've seen them pulled over by plod.
Scariest was when I saw 3 youths about 10-12 year old on BMXs on the 70mph section, that time plod got a call from me....

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I've seen 1 BMX on the A57 Parkway and a very lost cycle tourer with panniers looking at a map. I've also seen the odd pedestrian at night walking home after a skinful

OP
OP
J

joggingbob

The signs that I questioned are on urban 30mph limit roads. One is on the A125 and the other is not even classified as an A road. I was not so much questioning why they had no cycling signs more at what point on the road do they apply and then cease to apply.

Top Bottom