New John Lewis Store Leeds.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The local paper reports that there have been over half a million people through the Victoria shopping centre since it opened last week.
Apparently some of them even bought something! ;)

And as for being charged to enter the Piece Hall in Halifax goes, I'm with @MarkF on this one:
Really? Well good luck with that! ^_^

The locals won't pay to go in - precious few of them went in when it was free :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
The local paper reports that there have been over half a million people through the Victoria shopping centre since it opened last week.
Apparently some of them even bought something! ;)

And as for being charged to enter the Piece Hall in Halifax goes, I'm with @MarkF on this one:

The locals won't pay to go in - precious few of them went in when it was free :laugh:
Main entrance for the new library will be in there.

Shopping Centre over the road isn't going to be built. But it, The Piece Hall, will have 19 cafes!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Looks better than the monstrous design we got in Leicester

johnlewis_51561c.jpg
Hmmm... a paisley building.

Attachments

• johnlewis_51561c.jpg
    johnlewis_51561c.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: mjr

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Much wailing and gnashing of teeth in Cheltenham where it appears the proposed John Lewis there has been delayed, with some people worried that it may not ever go ahead.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
the proposed John Lewis there has been delayed, with some people worried that it may not ever go ahead.
Our town planning system seems very relaxed about letting businesses get permission, disrupt existing businesses and then not actually offer anything. There's a Tesco on the edge Chatteris which is all built and ready to fit out, but it stands still fenced off and dark, two years on. There's a pointless and rather tight roundabout on the bypass for it, a cycle track has been put in a flash-flooding trench and the town centre supermarkets have variously cut back and been sold off from full-range operators to discounters and convenience stores like Aldi and Budgens.

It appears that there is to be secure cycle parking installed in the car park.
The norm around here is for the planning permission condition to say the store can't operate until cycle parking is ready. I guess it's not in Leeds?

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Our town planning system seems very relaxed about letting businesses get permission, disrupt existing businesses and then not actually offer anything. There's a Tesco on the edge Chatteris which is all built and ready to fit out, but it stands still fenced off and dark, two years on. There's a pointless and rather tight roundabout on the bypass for it, a cycle track has been put in a flash-flooding trench and the town centre supermarkets have variously cut back and been sold off from full-range operators to discounters and convenience stores like Aldi and Budgens.

The norm around here is for the planning permission condition to say the store can't operate until cycle parking is ready. I guess it's not in Leeds?

Apparently the council had to alter the road layout to accommodate the store, which they of course did at the inconvenience of everyone else, not to mention the job losses from stores more or less evicted from the proposed site. There should be some rather narked councilors but I imagine rather than that they would be willing to drop their metophorical trousers and allow themselves to be shafted again, anything to get JL in town and up the Cheltenham class cachet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom