national cycling proficiency scheme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Mini D hasn't done bikeabikity. She missed it at school anyway because she was in hossy, but I've taught her myself, the proper way. And a few bits besides.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
My daughter did hers.
My son missed out in Covid. I presume many of the 14 year olds you see out and about now probably missed out during Covid.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I failed mine, after performing the 'emergency stop' you were supposed to look behind and indicate, now I'm on a playground so I know there's nothing behind me and I've never been any good at acting. Strangely I think it was about then I started hating coppers.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I failed mine, after performing the 'emergency stop' you were supposed to look behind and indicate, now I'm on a playground so I know there's nothing behind me and I've never been any good at acting. Strangely I think it was about then I started hating coppers.

Raleighnut school diary on the morning of his proficiency test "Today a nice pliceman is at skool to give us a test"
That afternoon: "The filth stitched me up"

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Raleighnut school diary on the morning of his proficiency test "Today a nice pliceman is at skool to give us a test"
That afternoon: "The filth stitched me up"

Funny thing is I'll bet I'm the only one that rode a bike consistently for the next 5 decades, never seen any of the others from that class on a bike after they started driving.
Every now and then I go back to my home village for wedding anniversaries/birthdays/funerals and some fat bald bloke will say hello and I don't know who they are but they generally say "Cor you've not changed" but I have to ask someone I do know who they were.

Drago

Legendary Member

I was refused entry for turning up on a Chopper.

I had to return that afternoon using my sisters pink shopper, an ordeal from Which I have never fully recovered.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I still remember fondly doing my cycling proficiency, winning the slow race was a particularly proud moment. :becool:

I did see an advert some time ago regarding becoming an instructor and I do fancy it, but I'm still too busy with other stuff. One day though, as I think I could have a right laugh with them.

Dadam

Über Member
I was refused entry for turning up on a Chopper.

I had to return that afternoon using my sisters pink shopper, an ordeal from Which I have never fully recovered.

Well I did mine on a Chopper no problem! 😁 Complete with orange flag on a fibreglass pole!
The course was fine, the trauma came later.

I parked my bike against a wall in the playground to go back into class. The others wisely parked them up the little alley the side of the hall. So come playtime I have to spend the whole break standing my ground defending both my bike and my dignity against the relentless mockery of other schoolkids. The scars are real man!

But the pink shopper... that's another level of trauma for a male child in the 70s. My sympathies!

pjd57

Guru
I didn't do cycling proficiency as a child.
Last year I done the Bikeability instructor course.
I thought it was very good. Lot to take in over 4 days .
Worth doing if you get the chance

mustang1

Legendary Member
I never done such a test. I've always been a courteous cyclist.
My kids done the bike ability courses. They were always courteous too, but even before the course.

I cannot help but think it's a paperwork exercise. I suppose it does help some people but it just hasn't been my experience.

They should still do the bike ability courses but more to get the kids out and about in a group, riding their bikes, getting fresh air and just enjoying themselves and learning a few things along the way.

Top Bottom