Naming your bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
No

It's not something I actually disapprove of, some names can be quite funny but I've never done it.

Reactions: C R

Gwylan

Veteran
We used to have a TomTom that we called Macoute.

(TomTom Macoute ... Geddit)

Yes, but it's Tonton.
Implies a bit of an ethnic slur.
Patronising term for old fellow, fellow of certain ethnicity, grass - as in informer.

Why they didn't translate literally Tonton tapis when they opened in the UK.
Back to carpet sellers from N Africa, I'm told.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yes, but it's Tonton.
Implies a bit of an ethnic slur.
Patronising term for old fellow, fellow of certain ethnicity, grass - as in informer.

Why they didn't translate literally Tonton tapis when they opened in the UK.
Back to carpet sellers from N Africa, I'm told.

Tonton in Tonton Macoute had nothing to do with N Africa or informers. It was a Haitian name for the bogeyman that you'd use to scare kids. Tonton Macoute would take naughty children away in his sack. So they applied the same nickname to Duvalier's enforcers.

Let's not get on to the dreaded Beglian secret police: The Tintin Macoute

Last edited:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I have a tourer called Liesl (Sound of Music), a road bike called Margarita ('The Master and...') and an MTB called Boudicca (Historical herione).

I fully approve of naming bikes and do call my bikes and refer to my bikes by their names but I also recognise it's a bit weird :smile:

OP
OP
Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Über Member
Meet “Bullet Tooth”
7E371AAD-40CB-41D4-9799-5C9F09CAF3A6.jpeg

EckyH

The only bicycle here with a real name is the monster cross bike "Tessa", named after a female lynx in the Bavarian Forest who was poisoned by a bad person.
One day she (the bicycle) will get a new paint job and a new colour scheme - from plain blue to something which reminds of the fur patterns of a lynx.

Two other bicycles here got names for the intended use case (the Commuter - The Light Blue Robinson V2) or a significant feature (the Langschenkelrenner (literally "Long Leg Racer") for the long reach rim brakes - Bob Jackson Audax End End).

E.

Top Bottom