My project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
hiya, new member here, this is my project bike. Originally it was an MTB hard tail. My son was going to throw it away after he had ridden it into the ground with absolutely no maintenance. I rescued it and proceeded to do a complete mechanical nut and bolt restoration on it.
It now has all new bearings, new cassette and chain, the old front suspension forks have been scrapped and i have fitted the rigid aluminium forks. The handle bars and brakes have been completely refurbished using new parts and i am currently waiting for the arrival of a new 44T chain wheel which will replace the original worn out item. The cycle already rides rather well and it is extremely light without the cumbersome sprung forks. A work in progress but i am enjoying it as I haven't done anything like this since my teenage years.
DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I have now ordered a pair of schwalbe slick tyres and a charge spoon saddle which I chose after reading the advice given on this site which should arrive at the end of this week, i have replaced the left side crank arm as it was creaking loudly and doing my napper in.
i have fitted lightweight racing pedals with toe clips to replace the standard flat pedals, I still have a "tick tick" sound when the pedals are under load which occurs with every downward rotation of the pedals..........anyone got any suggestions as to what might be causing this????
I'm really enjoying restoring this cycle and enjoying riding it even more despite the annoying ticking sound.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Might check that crank arm for tightness, or the bottom bracket. Other wise, it might be the pedals. But my money is on the bottom bracket. Plenty of vids on YouTube about bottom bracket changing. I usually go to RJ The Bike Guy. He fixes on a lot of bikes, he races, and he seems to have encountered a lot of problems in his time.

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
It's coming along nicely,
Out with the old knobblys and in with the new slicks.
DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

Amazing what a difference new tyres can make, starting to look more like a hybrid now. Just waiting arrival of new bottom bracket and shiny new (bright red) Charge Spoon saddle.Thats one of my dogs trying to get into that picture :smile:

DSC_0009.JPG

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am not being funny, but how do you stay on the saddle at that angle?

Top Bottom