Misguided Cycling Safety Campaigns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Really?

Most serious injuries and deaths, maybe.

But if you count bruises and grazes, then I rather doubt it.
Most reported ones for sure and I suspect it's a close run thing overall, as so few are injured by riding in groups or falling solo.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
2013. Seven killed plus three in the helicopter when it landed on the Clutha Bar in Glasgow after running out of fuel.

How did I miss that? Very lazy reading on my part.

2013 was a very bad year for helicopters in the UK. 8 ground casualties (7 in Glasgow, 1 in London) plus 8 helicopter occcupants (1 in London, 4 Shetland Is., 3 Glasgow) giving a grand total of 16 fatalities from helicopters.

The ground casualty in London was specifically identified as a "pedestrian".

So I take back my scepticism, @MichaelW2
In one year, more pedestrians were killed by falling helicopters than by cyclists.
So it's quite likely that in 2013 more people on the ground* were killed by falling helicopters than by cyclists. I'm sure the 2013 RTA casualty figures are out there somewhere, but I'm not going to spend time searching for them as I strongly doubt they will actually have a category for pedestrians killed by cyclists.

*"Pedestrians" is a bit of a stretch.

presta

Guru
I strongly doubt they will actually have a category for pedestrians killed by cyclists.

1719247812461.jpeg

1719248025380.png

1719247835300.png

1719247866539.jpeg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I already know, it’s less than the helicopter figure above.

Come on - don't leave us in suspense. What was the figure for the UK in 2013? (with a link to source if poss)

This will completely vindicate @MichaelW2 and shame me for being sceptical of his claim.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Top Bottom