Minute Cryptic word puzzle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richardfm

Veteran
Minute Cryptic - 8 September 2024
"Cater to staff while the world ends" (4)
🟣🟣🟣🟣🟣
I scored: 1 under par
https://www.minutecryptic.com/?utm_source=share

🟣🟣🟣🟣🟣

Thanks for this @mistyoptic - I used to do the Telegraph cryptic every day when I didn't have to buy the paper to do it and occasionally look for a daily alternative. This could be a nice micro-dose ^_^

gbb

Squire
🟣🟣🟣🟣🟣

Thanks for this @mistyoptic - I used to do the Telegraph cryptic every day when I didn't have to buy the paper to do it and occasionally look for a daily alternative. This could be a nice micro-dose ^_^

I used to love the competition cryptic in the DT. I'd usually get within 2 or 3 of completion sometimes completing it altogether.
But it's something (IME) you need to do on a regular basis. I trued doing them after a few years hiatus...just couldn't get anything, my brain had stopped thinking the same way (if that makes sense)

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Ive never understood how these work.
i have seen the answer and get how the first part works but can someone explain the second meaning.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Cater to

stafF whilE thE worlD ends, i.e. F E E D

How would anyone know that bit?
Is the word “ends” a well known clue hint?

How would anyone know that bit?
Is the word “ends” a well known clue hint?
Exactly that - it's part of the coded language of cryptic crosswords.

There's a similar example today where words that signify placement or order tell you where the solutions to various parts of the clue fit together to make the answer. The really satisfying ones are oten the most elegant and concise. (The only example I can think of right now is "like Hook" = "Aspirate") So the first step is to work out how the clue breaks down into parts or if it's an all-in-one, then try some answers for each part.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Ive never understood how these work.
i have seen the answer and get how the first part works but can someone explain the second meaning.

if you do it daily and then click the link to the video explanation you'll soon get a decent understanding of how clues are commonly structured.

there is always a full clue, then then a construct / construe it clue, which usually has some sort of action / director word in them: initial start end untangle (anagram) within / inside for words with like jig randomly etc

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Minute Cryptic - 9 September 2024
"Risk walk after injuring rear" (6)
⚪️🟣🟣🟣🟣🟣🟣

PaulSB

Squire
I scored one under par today with with a guess based on synonyms. I usually solve the Guardian Crptic every day but I find the Minute Cryptic much harder. I feel this is because with a crossword there's almost always one answer one can get and build from their. With Minute there's no such help.

Top Bottom