Minor Day Races Thread 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I always like to pay attention to some of the day races before the classics start in the spring and the other minor day races throughout the season that probably don't need a whole thread to themselves each. These are the 1.1 or 1.2 rated races rather than the 1.HC or WorldTour races...

First up this weekend is the GP Costa degli Etruschi. But things don't really kick off until March, when we have the Classic Sud Ardèche (1st), the GP Citta di Lugano, Kuurne-Bruxelles-Kuurne and La Drôme Classic (all on the 2nd), Le Samyn (5th), GP Camaiore (6th), and then one of my favourites, the Strade Bianchi (8th), which already feels like a true classic even though it's relatively new. It's a tough and scenic race with a fantastic last steep kilometre up into the old centre of Siena. RCS have announced 18 teams for this, including, I am pleased to note, African squad, MTN-Qhubeka. This race always suits a tough but explosive rider who can climb a bit, like Gerrans, Gilbert or Rodriguez... but the start list hasn't been announced yet.

But there will be many others... and this thread will be the place to keep an eye on them.

Last edited:

raindog

er.....
YES! Bloody love this time of year with excitement mounting for all those dozens of little one day races coming up in the north of France and Belgium. My first local race is next wednesday - can't wait. ^_^

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Wow, how did I forget the old unofficial start to the season, the GP d’Ouverture-La Marseillaise, which is also today... it is supposed to have a bit of a curse about it: if you win this then your season is jinxed, but let's see. Inner Ring has John Degenkolb down as their tip for winning. I hope it isn't the only thing he wins this season because I quite like him...

I always like to pay attention to some of the day races before the classics start in the spring and the other minor day races throughout the season that probably don't need a whole thread to themselves each. These are the 1.1 rated races rather than the 1.HC or WorldTour races...

First up this weekend is the GP Costa degli Etruschi. But things don't really kick off until March, when we have the Classic Sud Ardèche (1st), the GP Citta di Lugano, Kuurne-Bruxelles-Kuurne and La Drôme Classic (all on the 2nd), Le Samyn (5th), GP Camaiore (6th), and then one of my favourites, the Strade Bianchi (8th), which already feels like a true classic even though it's relatively new. It's a tough and scenic race with a fantastic last steep kilometre up into the old centre of Siena. RCS have announced 18 teams for this, including, I am pleased to note, African squad, MTN-Qhubeka. This race always suits a tough but explosive rider who can climb a bit, like Gerrans, Gilbert or Rodriguez... but the start list hasn't been announced yet.

But there will be many others... and this thread will be the place to keep an eye on them.

The GP Costa degli Etruschi - Alta Maremma, not so many World Tour teams in that one, however Basso and Ponzi will be there, and interestingly there will be Antonio Nibali, brother of Vincenzo, so it will be good to see how he does.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Incidentally, Britain has only 3 day races that are part of the UCI Europe Tour - the Ride London Classic (1.HC), the Rutland-Melton (1.2), and new for this year, I am very pleased to say, my old club's race, the Beaumont Trophy (1.2), in Northumberland. But even if it is increasingly, it is still a rather pathetic tally for a country that has become a power in the pro peloton.

Incidentally, Britain has only 3 day races that are part of the UCI Europe Tour - the Ride London Classic (1.HC), the Rutland-Melton (1.2), and new for this year, I am very pleased to say, my old club's race, the Beaumont Trophy (1.2), in Northumberland. But even if it is increasingly, it is still a rather pathetic tally for a country that has become a power in the pro peloton.
You have to wonder why this is really ? More than likely the complete lack of cycling being any kind of a mainstream sport in the UK, and perhaps also the obstacles thrown in the way by local councils, police et al, to organize such an event..

raindog

er.....
You have to wonder why this is really ? More than likely the complete lack of cycling being any kind of a mainstream sport in the UK, and perhaps also the obstacles thrown in the way by local councils, police et al, to organize such an event..
Absolutely. It just isn't part of our sporting culture. Things seem to be changing though, little by little.

"Kenneth Vanbilsen a remporté le Grand Prix de La Marseillaise"
http://provence-alpes.france3.fr/20...laise-victoire-du-belge-vanbilsen-407559.html
I'll look for a video tomorrow morning.

thom

____

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Simone Ponzi takes the GP Costa degli Etruschi - first win for the Yellow Fluo team. I really don't know much about him, or Van Bilsen, who won the GP L'ouverture.

Edit: update - seems it's only Van Bilsen's second professional win, and the first was in the espoirs Tour of Flanders (when he was with An Post-Sean Kelly).

As for Ponzi, he was an Astana rider last season and before that Liquigas (so all clear then...) and he's had some good results, podium places and other high rankings in day races, and stage wins in the Vuelta a Burgos. But apparently he chose to drop down to Yellow Fluo for this season...

Last edited:
Top Bottom