Marshalling on large group rides...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mazz

Not sure this is the right forum, but here goes...

I did some marshalling for the first time at a recent cycling charity event. My guess is there were 150 to 200 riders (myself one of them). The marshalling I did was being stationary in the middle of the road at junctions to force cars to wait until all the riders had gone passed (to be honest, this wasn't always practical, as the group was sometimes too stretched out).

Generally, motorists were understanding of holding them back, but at other times (particularly at traffic lights when they had the green light) some became angry.

Does anyone know what the highway code says ( if anything) about marshalling where you're effectively stopping traffic from moving?

Thanks

I did some marshalling for the first time at a recent cycling charity event. My guess is there were 150 to 200 riders (myself one of them). The marshalling I did was being stationary in the middle of the road at junctions to force cars to wait until all the riders had gone passed (to be honest, this wasn't always practical, as the group was sometimes too stretched out).

Generally, motorists were understanding of holding them back, but at other times (particularly at traffic lights when they had the green light) some became angry.

Does anyone know what the highway code says ( if anything) about marshalling where you're effectively stopping traffic from moving?

Thanks

As a regular marshall you can only politely ask folk to stop/wait. BC have introduce 'Accredited Marhalls' now who are legally allowed to stop traffic but you have to do the Accreditation course.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I marshalled a few road races and we were told on open road events you do not have the authority to stop traffic. That is a few years ago though.
Not sure what the position is with charity events, but if they are not closed road then I would assume you should observe the rules of the road. So give way at give ways and stop at red lights and stop signs.

13 rider

Guru

Thanks
As I understand it the general public have no right to demand traffic to stop . As an engineer who would occasionally require a pause in traffic it was a call to the Police ,

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

As I understand it the general public have no right to demand traffic to stop .

Intuitively, that's what I would've thought, maybe I'm wrong. We really are relying on the drivers being understanding and they realise they won't be held up for too long.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

As a regular marshall you can only politely ask folk to stop/wait. BC have introduce 'Accredited Marshalls' now who are legally allowed to stop traffic but you have to do the Accreditation course.

Do you raise your arm with open palm etc ? Or do you speak to the driver at the front of the queue?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've been on Friday Night Rides to the Coast with around 100 or so, but that's exceptional. Anyway The Fridays approach is to stop at red lights, allow the ride to become fragmented, and have regular regroups. A rider is dropped off at each junction to point the way and make sure everyone follows the route. They rejoin the ride when the back marker arrives. That system works very well. It also allows different paced groups to form on the road.

As above you can only politely request that they stop. I’m a BC accredited marshal and, in the right circumstances with the correct signage, am able to legally stop traffic.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Do you raise your arm with open palm etc ? Or do you speak to the driver at the front of the queue?

You have a 'lollipop' sign, but I'm not certain whether you can use them outside BC events.

Alex321

Guru
You don't have the right to require them to stop, but on the other hand, they do not have the right to just pull out into the middle of a big bunch of cyclists.

What we have been informed previously (by the police) was that when riding in these types of charity or protest group, the whole bunch counts as one vehicle, so if a traffic light is red when the lead rider arrives, you have to stop. But once the lead rider is through, all the rest follow, even if the light changes to red part way through the bunch (which will often happen with groups of 100+).

The marshall in that case is just making sure that the drivers would first have to deliberately drive through the marshall before they could get into the bunch.

I have done this as part of the Cardiff World Naked Bike ride on a number of occasions, and very rarely had any issue with impatient motorists.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What we have been informed previously (by the police) was that when riding in these types of charity or protest group, the whole bunch counts as one vehicle, so if a traffic light is red when the lead rider arrives, you have to stop. But once the lead rider is through, all the rest follow, even if the light changes to red part way through the bunch (which will often happen with groups of 100+).
Some years ago I joined a club and was inducted to their standard signals and stuff and they had a call of "rolling!" for just this eventuality - when the lights change on a group part way through. However in all my time riding with them I never heard this used and never rode in any groups bigger than 10 or so.

Drago

Legendary Member
You have no powers with regards the traffic, regardless of with whom you may be accredited, unless you are...

a) a constable in uniform or assisting a constable in uniform,

b) a contractor with the necessary permits/TRO, or

c) the road is subject to a formal authorised closure, such as when the Velo soprtives were running, at which time they temporarily cease to be a highway.

You can make a request to traffic with the necessary signage etc, but If it goes wrong, guess who's balls get served up on a barbed wire plate to the magistrate?

I've done some marshaling, and between the arrishole car drivers and the arrishole riders I won't ever do any more.

Top Bottom