Live Rocket Launch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

I was working a lot Weds-Friday so didn't see the static firing. I could have posted the footage, but it looks maybe a bit boring to some people. There is some dispute as to whether it was six or eleven seconds and whether the firing was staggered (I think likely).

Static firing is completely standard to SpaceX, nothing really to get excited about, other than that it went successfully on something new and the long awaited Falcon Heavy is pretty likely to launch (successfully or not) on or later than 6th February.

Unless you think static firing counts, someone pedantic could have picked up on the wording I used and wondered precisely why I used the wording I did (some leeway in it).

There are two more powerful rocket systems than this being devised, that may follow Falcon Heavy. But if falcon heavy is successful, it's a very exciting rocket launch as it ****s on the currently available systems to take payload to a Low earth orbit or geosynchronous one.

I don't know whether it'll be the last time someone launches their sports car into orbit, what SpaceX are working on after Falcon Heavy is much more insane and worthy of publicity stunts and indulgence.

P.S. I just like the way it can be presented to the public. Any child or adult messing about with rockets has probably thought that's cool and went well, but what would happen if I strap another two of those on the side!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Today's the day for Falcon Heavy. Could go up after 6:30pm. If the window is aborted there will be an attempt tomorrow.

Drago

Legendary Member
He's a persistent bugger though. Look at the failures they endured with the self recovering boosters - with each failure they got incrementally closer to their goal, and eventually they did it.

None of the Falcon Heavy technology is unique. The real challenge is lighting off three at once in perfect harmony, although none of the individual sub assemblies such as pumps, motors, ignitors etc are actually untestested in flight.

I hope it comes off. If it does, NASA will have to question whethernto keep throwing money at the SLS. Why duplicate that which you can buy off the shelf?

Drago

Legendary Member
Am I right in thinking the Falcon Heavy is a sort of a Saturn V sort of a thing for the 21stC?
Pretty much. Not quite the capacity of the V, but still near on twice of anything else around at the moment. Apart from its big payload capacity, once up and running its supposed to be very cheap, because of the re-usability. Space X are talking in the region of $100,000,000 a flight (assuming a payload and orbital profile that leaves enough fuel for the boosters to recover themselves), which really would be a game changer for large payload orbital and deep space access.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Pretty much. Not quite the capacity of the V, but still near on twice of anything else around at the moment. Apart from its big payload capacity, once up and running its supposed to be very cheap, because of the re-usability. Space X are talking in the region of $100,000,000 a flight (assuming a payload and orbital profile that leaves enough fuel for the boosters to recover themselves), which really would be a game changer for large payload orbital and deep space access.
I thought I heard that in heavy mode, with a large payload, reuse will not be possible?

Top Bottom