Legal locks for bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Skunklock Carbon, this lock will not hold up as long as the first four will against an angle grinder, but it will release a poignant odor!
Is that classed as a firearm in the UK? I think similar splattering locks have been, which makes most use here illegal in practice.@Drago might know.

Last edited:

Alex321

Guru
Is that classed as a firearm in the UK? I think similar splattering locks have been, which makes most use here illegal in practice.@Drago might know.

It could be

Definition of a Firearm in the legislation (Firearms Act 1968) (My bold):
In this Act, the expression “firearm” means—

(a)a lethal barrelled weapon (see subsection (1B));

(b)a prohibited weapon;

(c)a relevant component part in relation to a lethal barrelled weapon or a prohibited weapon (see subsection (1D));

(d)an accessory to a lethal barrelled weapon or a prohibited weapon where the accessory is designed or adapted to diminish the noise or flash caused by firing the weapon;

And "Prohibited weapon" is defined in Section 5 as a number of things, burt the relevant one is:
any weapon of whatever description designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other thing;

Just depends on whether the "poignant odour" is classed as a noxious gas.

freiston

Veteran
There was some legislation a while back that did imply carrying a lock could be viewed as carrying a potential weapon. The media as usual did it's best to blow things out of all proportion and if I remember correctly, some members here also had fears about it. It's all thankfully blown over now but if it does worry you @Katie6566 then you could always put it in a back pack or saddle bag.
But as said, unless you're waving it about and screaming like a nutcase I think you'll be fine and dandy.

Please excuse me if I'm wrong, but regarding to the legislation you mention, are you thinking about "being equipped to lock on" - regarding protestors locking themselves to things? That's the only thing I can think of where the legality of carrying a bike lock has been questioned (in the media) lately in respect to "new legislation".

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...esters-new-law-tackle-locking-on-b967984.html

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Please excuse me if I'm wrong, but regarding to the legislation you mention, are you thinking about "being equipped to lock on" - regarding protestors locking themselves to things? That's the only thing I can think of where the legality of carrying a bike lock has been questioned (in the media) lately in respect to "new legislation".

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...esters-new-law-tackle-locking-on-b967984.html

Can't remember off hand what it was I read but there was a subject about it in the CTC forum.

Top Bottom