Legal locks for bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If the rider is only leaving the bike in 2 places like home and the work bike rack then it might be easier to have a 2 locks and not carry them ?
I do this with my commuter as like most where i work we leave the locks in the bike shed at work .
That's fine until someone else with access to the shed (another worker, trespasser, whatever ) Superglues your lock in the hope you then leave your bike there unsecured. Or the site manager removes it as litter.

Hi

I've offered a metal chain to someone who hasn't got a bike lock, but haven't given it to them yet. It crossed my kind that a chain could be seen as a potential weapon, and therefore both carrying it to give it to my friend and for her to use it could get us into trouble.

We're both careful with money and so the idea of reusing items appeals but not if it could get us into trouble with police. Does anyone know what the rules are regarding size, length of chain or if using a purpose made lock is the only option.

Many thanks

Considering the various heavy and pointy things I carry every day, I don't think that'll be an issue.

Alex321

Veteran
That's fine until someone else with access to the shed (another worker, trespasser, whatever ) Superglues your lock in the hope you then leave your bike there unsecured. Or the site manager removes it as litter.

Never known either of those things happen, in several years (previous commute for about 10 years in te late 80's and 90's, plus current commute going on for 3 years now). Nor heard of it happening to anybody else.

I always leave my main lock locked around one of the bike stands in the office car park.

classic33

Leg End Member
Industrial degreasers can be used to remove superglue. Downside is they'll "eat" any plastic within the lock itself.
Keeping the lock oiled prevents the glue from taking hold within the lock. It just forms another layer/layers within the lock itself.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Never known either of those things happen, in several years (previous commute for about 10 years in te late 80's and 90's, plus current commute going on for 3 years now). Nor heard of it happening to anybody else.
Your call. I've heard of it happening but I've been involved in cycle advocacy for years which at one point included getting copies of Bristol area cycle theft reports. It's probably not common because theft in total is relatively rare, but it's not never.

Aescott

If the rider is only leaving the bike in 2 places like home and the work bike rack then it might be easier to have a 2 locks and not carry them ?
I do this with my commuter as like most where i work we leave the locks in the bike shed at work .

That’s ok until you decide to take a detour on the commute and need to lock your bike when you go in to a shop. Fine if you make that plan before you set off, but impulse changes can still happen. Ive got a Krypton cable which attaches to my frame. Doesn’t add a lot of weight to the bike, although the 15 stone rider does……

Mike_P

Guru
I use to leave a lock at work, now only going in occasionally I have removed that and use the D lock I take with me shopping.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That’s ok until you decide to take a detour on the commute and need to lock your bike when you go in to a shop. Fine if you make that plan before you set off, but impulse changes can still happen. Ive got a Krypton cable which attaches to my frame. Doesn’t add a lot of weight to the bike, although the 15 stone rider does……

i dont carry any means of payment :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
i dont carry any means of payment :smile:
You don't just help yourself!!

Mike_P

Guru
I always take my debit card and a £10 note with me on non shopping rides. In a thin credit card holder that fits a zipped jersey pocket. Acts a buffer to the keys in their as well.

Top Bottom