Is there such a thing as too much adventure?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blackrat

Hiking in the Smokey mountains - between N. Carolina and Tennessee - rounding a bend in the trail I came across a pair of black bear cubs playing in the meadow, they were magical. The mother was clearly somewhere close, I stopped, watched until the cubs gamboled away. The very great pleasure of seeing wild animals in their natural habitat is one of the most rewarding of experiences.
I've seen bears and coyotes in other parts of the country and every time I come away gratified having been given the rare opportunity of sighting them.

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, that looks terrifying :sad:

Personally if in an environment where there were creatures willing and able to kill me, I'd always want an appropriate means of defence. Assuming it's legal to carry firearms in that state it seems almost negligent not to in that situation..

It's a federal offence to shoot them except in self defence though so you need to be very, very sure because get it wrong and you'll be wearing a wedding dress for Bubba for 10 years and the Fish and Wildlife lot don't foxtrot about (interestingly it was one of their agents that came to their aid in this example.)

And you need a pistol with some punch, 9mm, .40 S&W, .357, that sort of thing. Unless you get lucky with the placing a .38 is likely just to pith them off. And you'd need to not onpy be a decent shot to hit a small, dynamic target, but very cool under pressure to have a hope of dropping it. I know my way around a pistol but I'd probably be sheeting myself. These ladies are very cool customers indeed.

TheDoctor

Noble and true, with a heart of steel
This makes me very happy with my bike touring choices lately.
The most hazardous thing I encountered was a huge and threatening Battenburg., although Pont l'Eveque cheese runs it a close second.
Massive Battenburg.jpg

TheDoctor

Noble and true, with a heart of steel
And that's how the cake got so big?
Yes, that makes sense.

Top Bottom