Is there such a thing as too much adventure?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blackrat

Well, that looks terrifying :sad:

Personally if in an environment where there were creatures willing and able to kill me, I'd always want an appropriate means of defence. Assuming it's legal to carry firearms in that state it seems almost negligent not to in that situation..

Would you shoot first? Go into an environment where you will likely interact with wild animals. shoot first and question after? More people do that there will be no wild animals left. Humans 1: Wild life 0

Baldy

Über Member
I've spent quite a lot of time travelling in wild country were Puma/cougar, bear and wolves roamed free. Never felt the need to carry a gun. A few simple rules keep you safe. They're more interested in your food than you, especially bears. Keep food and food smells away from your tent, hang food up out of reach or use a bear proof canister. These work well but are heavy and are a bitch to carry in a backpack. Make noise, let them know you're coming, generally all you'll see is their backside disappearing into the undergrowth.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, that looks terrifying :sad:
Rules of wilderness walking in Utah:
  • Remember to record your walk for your Instagram followers
  • When threatened by a large predator, remember to spend nearly 6 minutes talking to it
  • Keep pointing the camera at the predator so your family, friends, and Instagram followers can see exactly how you came to die and be eaten out on the trail
  • Walk backwards on the rocky trail despite the risk of tripping over a rock, knocking yourself out, and becoming predator-lunch
  • Under no circumstances put the camera down, pick up a handful of rocks, and throw them at the predator to chase it away
  • When the predator relents and runs away, hang around and chat to your followers while waiting for it to sneak back and pounce from the bushes
:whistle:

presta

Guru
Walk backwards on the rocky trail despite the risk of tripping over a rock, knocking yourself out, and becoming predator-lunch
I'm pretty sure the advice I've seen on encounters with big predators is to back away slowly, and never turn your back on them. If you face them you look like something that may fight back, but if you turn and run it triggers their instinct to chase a prey.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
  • When threatened by a large predator, remember to spend nearly 6 minutes talking to it
  • Keep pointing the camera at the predator so your family, friends, and Instagram followers can see exactly how you came to die and be eaten out on the trail
  • Walk backwards on the rocky trail despite the risk of tripping over a rock, knocking yourself out, and becoming predator-lunch
  • Under no circumstances put the camera down, pick up a handful of rocks, and throw them at the predator to chase it away
  • When the predator relents and runs away, hang around and chat to your followers while waiting for it to sneak back and pounce from the bushes

This bear is notorious on Insta

New%2BBear%2BFinal.jpg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Would you shoot first? Go into an environment where you will likely interact with wild animals. shoot first and question after? More people do that there will be no wild animals left. Humans 1: Wild life 0
No, of course I'd wait for my potential assailant to draw first 👍

In all seriousness a shot in the air first might be enough; and while I'm not a fan of killing anything I suspect this position might shift somewhat if something's attempting to eat my face.

I've spent quite a lot of time travelling in wild country were Puma/cougar, bear and wolves roamed free. Never felt the need to carry a gun. A few simple rules keep you safe. They're more interested in your food than you, especially bears. Keep food and food smells away from your tent, hang food up out of reach or use a bear proof canister. These work well but are heavy and are a bitch to carry in a backpack. Make noise, let them know you're coming, generally all you'll see is their backside disappearing into the undergrowth.
All sounds like good advice; although I think the food the cougar was after in this case wasn't in the cyclist's frame bags..

Nowt like natural selection :tongue:

Drago

Legendary Member
My mate had to keep an eye out for bears when he cycle toured Canada !

Mate or mine did some contracting un Beirut in the 80s. Few cars to be had so he got a motorbike, and was advised by the seller that he'd removed the tail light bulb because of snipers!

I'd love to see Bigfoot. He'd go running off and tell his friends he'd had a narrow squeak with a Drago!

Gillstay

Veteran
Wanted to see a black bear when in Canada, so went to the local dump. Could only see Ravens so stepped out of the car and stood up just as a bear came out of the bush in front of me . He was almost touching me. You can with out any practice, jump backwards into a car, with out looking, and land perfectly, whilst retaining the ability to pull the door shut behind you. You just have to be sufficiently motivated. :okay:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Yes, being woefully unprepared the main factor. My BiL had a lucky escape last year. Went to the lakes, he tried to get up Scafell Pike and down again in the same day. He's done it before. He is extremely fit but I said repeatedly that he wasn't prepared and that he was being ridiculous. Of course, the inevitable happened.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-64736602

It wasn't a nice phone call to get for my missus. Terrible day as I was preparing for the worst. He was found alive. The weather turned and he couldn't see a hand in front of him. He ended up falling down a waterfall and busted his knee was wet and confused. Lucky in the sense that it was unseasonably warm weather that night of he'd be a gonna. It was a mountain rescue dog that found him. Wonderful, fantastic animals and one lucky lucky bloke.

Blimey!, I hope he always uses a map and compass now. What a lucky escape. A number of years ago I was with a walking group that left me on the moors and as I ran after them I sprained my ankle. It was coming in dark at 3.30 and I didn't know my way off the moors and I couldn't walk. I thought I was going to die. Fortunately I was alright and got down O.K. but its taught me to never ever rely on a group for navigation.
I always take a map and compass out now and I can use them. People will leave others to die and it doesn't have to be on Everest either.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Blimey!, I hope he always uses a map and compass now. What a lucky escape. A number of years ago I was with a walking group that left me on the moors and as I ran after them I sprained my ankle. It was coming in dark at 3.30 and I didn't know my way off the moors and I couldn't walk. I thought I was going to die. Fortunately I was alright and got down O.K. but its taught me to never ever rely on a group for navigation.
I always take a map and compass out now and I can use them. People will leave others to die and it doesn't have to be on Everest either.

Absolutely. He's only just started planning his next trip. It deeply affected him. But i am glad to say, he is taking it all more seriously and has gear and now some idea. The wilderness is no joke, even on our small island.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Yes, being woefully unprepared the main factor. My BiL had a lucky escape last year. Went to the lakes, he tried to get up Scafell Pike and down again in the same day. He's done it before. He is extremely fit but I said repeatedly that he wasn't prepared and that he was being ridiculous. Of course, the inevitable happened.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-64736602

It wasn't a nice phone call to get for my missus. Terrible day as I was preparing for the worst. He was found alive. The weather turned and he couldn't see a hand in front of him. He ended up falling down a waterfall and busted his knee was wet and confused. Lucky in the sense that it was unseasonably warm weather that night of he'd be a gonna. It was a mountain rescue dog that found him. Wonderful, fantastic animals and one lucky lucky bloke.

Blimey he was trying to use Google Maps on a mountain? Luckily he didn’t join the Darwin awards.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm pretty sure the advice I've seen on encounters with big predators is to back away slowly, and never turn your back on them. If you face them you look like something that may fight back, but if you turn and run it triggers their instinct to chase a prey.
I am not suggesting that he shouldn't back away slowly... I just think that he spent the whole time looking at his camera/phone screen. Maybe he did glimpse down from time to time to see where he was placing his feet.

I wouldn't cope much better, which is why I avoid going to places where I might get eaten! (And I definitely wouldn't be videoing any predator encounter if I had one.) :laugh:

Top Bottom