Is Queuing Dead?

Is Queuing Dead?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I was at the recycling centre today, and had 2 bags of garden waste. They had to stop me from dumping my load in, because a loader had to clear the garden waste section. So I stood with my bags at the front of the gate and waited until I had the all clear. 3 other people were waiting behind me, and another 3 people formed another "queue" opposite us. When we were given the all clear, everyone just picked their bags up and walked past me, so I had to wait again for everyone else to empty their sacks, as there was only space for 2 or 3 people to get to the skip at a time.

My question is, do we think the great British art of queuing is dying out, or does it depend on the situation? Are there more people about now who just don't care for waiting and will just jump in?

Drago

Legendary Member
Nothing worse than being stopped from dumping your load when you're desperate.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I was at the recycling centre today, and had 2 bags of garden waste. They had to stop me from dumping my load in, because a loader had to clear the garden waste section. So I stood with my bags at the front of the gate and waited until I had the all clear. 3 other people were waiting behind me, and another 3 people formed another "queue" opposite us. When we were given the all clear, everyone just picked their bags up and walked past me, so I had to wait again for everyone else to empty their sacks, as there was only space for 2 or 3 people to get to the skip at a time.

My question is, do we think the great British art of queuing is dying out, or does it depend on the situation? Are there more people about now who just don't care for waiting and will just jump in?

Probably best to express your dissatisfaction at the time, rather than now :laugh:

Some Wetherspoons pubs have signs up specifically telling people not to queue. I was chatting to some staff there once about it and they think its a hangover (lol) from the pandemic days, younger people <30 tend to do it more. So if your in a Wetherspoons and see a queue for the bar, ignore it and walk staight up to the bar.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sometimes on social meeja you get Brits comforting themselves with national stereotypes. We're better than you because: Sense of humour, inedible greasy breakfasts, fish and chips, the monarchy, tea drinking and love of queueing.

Queueing? Really?

dicko

Guru
On holiday this year awaiting the bus from Gozo port to our hotel. We await patiently then everyone pushes past us. We get on and no seats all young and foreign teenagers but we stand for the journey.

a.twiddler

Veteran
The art of queueing lives on, where I live. You would think that's because people here tend to be polite and considerate, but you only have to see what happens when someone jumps the queue to see the rage that boils beneath being directed at the rule breaker. Perhaps that's another facet of being British, repressing one's feelings, stiff upper lip, old chap, but when that safety valve blows, you'd better watch out!

The art of extrapolation lives on too, though I don't assume that everyone everywhere is happy to queue just because they do here. On the other hand, obviously plenty of anecdata that people don't like to queue in some places. My maybe misguided belief is that queueing is still a thing in most of Britain. We aren't all Americans yet!

Top Bottom