In Praise of Air Conditioning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Out of interest, is running costs for A/C about the same as for a fridge? I mean, it must be pretty much the same thing but with no door?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Out of interest, is running costs for A/C about the same as for a fridge? I mean, it must be pretty much the same thing but with no door?

I've never worked it out, but it's not huge. Certainly in the winter when I'm home alone I run it in reverse to keep the place warm and it's much cheaper than running the central heating.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Air con ? i dont have it in the car let alone the house .
Borrowed next doors hedge trimmer for the one bush we have in the garden that needs a good prune, by the time i had clipped and cleared up the offcuts i had to have a shower .

CXRAndy

Guru

No it's running more often. Think of it in heating terms. Here are my barn Aircon electric consumption. Bear in mind it's a big area, so not totally representing a conventional house setup. I run it 24/7

1000014132.jpg

Peaked at 26.2c in lounge today, luckily I only go in it later in the day as I couldn't sit in that all day. Porch hit 29c and that's with the doors and windows open :eek:

presta

Guru
Yesterday at about 5pm I measured 30.1 in the shade outside, 28.8 in here with the sun coming in through the French window, 25 in the lounge, 26.6.in the hall & 26.2 in the bedroom at bedtime.

OldShep

Über Member
Had my split unit for 15 years and in that time I’ve used it 3 days for cooling. Scotland we had a high of 19C yesterday.
On the other hand it’s used for heating about 8 months each year.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Yesterday at about 5pm I measured 30.1 in the shade outside, 28.8 in here with the sun coming in through the French window, 25 in the lounge, 26.6.in the hall & 26.2 in the bedroom at bedtime.

I recently had solar film fitted in the lounge as it was getting toastier than breakfast time at Hiroshima.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Domestic A/C units ,with an air duct like a tumble drier, are grotesquely inefficient. They cost a lot more to run than a fridge.

Lady Slowmotion solved her overheating problem by going for a big shop in a local supermarket yesterday.

Top Bottom