I'm getting old :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are varifocals those glasses that very old people wear and the lenses are different at the bottom compared to the top?
No.

Very old people use a magnifying glass.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I'm sure they'll be more than that. Specsavers designer frames start at £100 and the mid range varifocal lenses around £150
I think her specsaver ones she likes were £89 for the frame , the£180 is the total , luckily she will get a standard non transistion pair free , looked at direct specs , tescos etc and there isnt much in it .
Beats my £15 pair i bought when i had my eyes tested and the £3 ish ones i use at work :smile:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If you just need 1.5 dioptre, and more to the point, both eyes roughly the same you can get excellent ones off ebay for between 99p and say a fiver. My best pair was half moon old man style for a fiver but have had perfectly Ok, and optically excellent ones, even with sprung hinges for as little as 99p.

My eyes are now too different from each other so shelled out £45 !t specsavers, but sill keep cheapies for back up

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If you just need 1.5 dioptre, and more to the point, both eyes roughly the same you can get excellent ones off ebay for between 99p and say a fiver. My best pair was half moon old man style for a fiver but have had perfectly Ok, and optically excellent ones, even with sprung hinges for as little as 99p.

My eyes are now too different from each other so shelled out £45 !t specsavers, but sill keep cheapies for back up

Or alternatively, buy two pairs of the same style (one of each of the required prescription) from Poundland and swap one of the lenses over. Custom specs for two quid! :okay:

Milzy

Guru
:smooch:
I had my eyes tested and as I had started to suspect, I need reading glasses :sad:

The optician recommended varifocals (I'm also short sighted and wear specs) but as my prescription only says +1.5 it's quite mild long sightedness. I'm thinking of getting some £20 off the shelf jobs for reading (Varifocals are going to cost me £150+). No longer commuting by train so don't read books so much

Anyone else done this?

We all still love you dearly though

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I use Daniel Cullen for reading glasses. Very good service, and some inexpensive frames.

I'd get a magnifying glass instead of glasses as I dont like the arms above my ears. My Dad used to use one I think its a good idea.

They also do pince-nez and monocles.

Katherine

Guru
I have a pair of cheep reading glasses next the bed, next the phone, next the computer, in my cycle bag, in my handbag, in my tray at work... Various makes, no difference.
I hate not being able to read something. I've been using +2 for a long time.

The trouble is when you have to switch between looking at text and then looking up at people. It's a nuisance having to keep taking them on and off, so I bought a pair of bifocals on the Internet which I wear during the day at work.

Top Bottom