I'm getting old :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
i have varifocals (+1.5 plus additional 1.5 for reading). they take some getting used to and they arent cheap but I find without the distance prescription I am not comfortable driving.

Generally I try and use varifocal daily contacts as they are better for me as I tend to break my glasses regularly
I have distance glasses which I wear all the time. I'd just noticed reading was less comfortable with my distance glasses on

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Is it the case that the £20 ones from Boots etc are better than the £1 ones from Poundland?

Is it the case that the £20 ones from Boots etc are better than the £1 ones from Poundland?
You need to try them to see. I have 3.0 readers that cost £2.99 (I actually have six pairs situated round the home, in the car and on the bike as I never remember where I left them) and they are as good as the perscription ones I got from Specsavers.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
You need to try them to see. I have 3.0 readers that cost £2.99 (I actually have six pairs situated round the home, in the car and on the bike as I never remember where I left them) and they are as good as the perscription ones I got from Specsavers.
I've bought some from Poundland, I'll need to see what they are like later

Just not wanting to spend £300 on Varifocals right now

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Free tests at Tesco :smile:

Every little helps. Joking aside though, I've used Tesco Opticians a couple of times after problems at Specsavers and found them to be very good.

Tesco is 5 minutes away. Scotland isn't :smile:

Surely that depends where you live? ;)

There was something on the telly about this a few weeks ago - apparently there is quite strict regulation surrounding spectacles and they have to meet certain standards. They showed the Poundland ones being tested and passing with flying colours. So as far as the lenses go, the Poundland ones should be just as good.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Not noticeably.

If you don't have astigmatism and can cope with switching you should be fine. I used astigmatic correction and distance correction contacts for a while and wore reading glasses, but I'm now happy with a single pair of varifocals. They are not cheap, but if you get to that stage it's worth paying for a decent pair rather than Specsavers specials. Which aren't.

simon.r

Person

Not IME. And an honest optician advised me that I could buy his £50+ glasses or go to Poundland if I wasn't bothered about the aesthetics.

Typed while wearing +2 Poundland glasses:smile:, one of the many pairs I have in the house, car, panniers, briefcase...

alicat

Legendary Member
If you are mildly short sighted have you tried reading with no glasses on? You might find that is okay for a while.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd get a magnifying glass instead of glasses as I dont like the arms above my ears. My Dad used to use one I think its a good idea.
I wear glasses anyhow so not an issue. I can see small print but with my glasses on I need to hold the book further away

Julia9054

Guru
I have distance glasses which I wear all the time. I'd just noticed reading was less comfortable with my distance glasses on
I had got to the stage where i was lifting my distance glasses up to look under them to text and taking them off to read. Finally bit the bullet and got my first pair of varifocals on Saturday. Bit odd at first. Managed to fall down the stairs wearing them on Sunday!
After a week i am now used to them which is just as well - i could have bought a bike for what they cost!
My advice would be to manage for a couple of years until your eyes decide what variety of middle aged crapness they are going to settle on before splashing out.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
If you are mildly short sighted have you tried reading with no glasses on? You might find that is okay for a while.
Could do, I'm around -2/-2.25

Thing with varifocals presumably is once used to them, it's hard to go back to single vision? I have prescription sunglasses and expensive direct glazed cycling glasses. Wouldn't want to replace all!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Other thing the optician said, is for varifocals, you need quite a deep frame to accommodate the lens variation. I've worn a narrow one for years, not sure I'd get on with a deep one for all day wearing (ok for sunnies)

Dave7

Legendary Member
I needed specs for reading aged 22 (a mere 48 years ago)
When I needed them for distance I went the varifocal route and am fortunately one of the people who get on well with them.
I did a lot of scuba diving and had lenses in my mask.
I have to wear prescription "wrap-arounds" for cycling.
If I could have laser treatment for both I certainly would.

Top Bottom