If money was no object…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Peer Gynt or Velove Armadillo

EckyH

It would be something like the Condor Acciaio Stainless Disc frame, but with QR axles and steel fork, Chris King head set, Campagnolo Chorus aluminium 10speed Ergopower (or - if there was one - Record Ergopower with aluminium levers), Record front and rear derailleur, TRP Spyre brakes, Hope or Royce hubs, Sapim spokes, deep DT Swiss aluminium rims, Vittoria Corsa Pro tan wall tyres, TPU inner tubes, silver Sugino or Specialites TA compact square taper crank set, black Specialites TA chain rings, Phil Wood bottom bracket, Connex stainless steel chain, Brooks Cambium saddle, Velo Orange Grand Cru or Ritchey WCS seat post, stem and handlebar, Jagwire KEB-SL brake cables and housings and Jagwire shifting cable set, Shimano 7810 pedals. But I'm not sure which bar tape I'd like to have...

E.

Last edited:

grldtnr

Über Member
It's not about the bike, it's me that ought to get fixed, sadly not gonna happen, sure riding a well fettled and sorted bike helps , but sometimes you look at a bike frame, and you know it's just perfect.
For me ,a new build frame from after 1945 , and the classic Brit clubman frames, built with 531st ,with a pic & mix approach to components, i wouldn't want a high end groupset, like Campy or Dura race, i much admire the Mavic or Miche stuff, workmanlike but not 'bling', I'd like drum brakes and enclosed gears , I do have a selection of bikes at home, for general duties ,or 'service' bike ,utilitarian hub gears and drum brakes are ideal, a 'postie' bike if you will, they are/ were heavy, but I used to repair and maintain them before retirement, ( no post bikes , no duty, so took early retirement )
That said the 'Millennium' post bike was very well specced, it rode nicely too, if badly finished, but it's a workman like tool, why spend time making to look flash, if it's getting trashed.
If the story about battle tanks is true, German tanks ,had all the welds tidied up , the Russians weren't, the russkies had for more tanks, what's the point in bullying things up if they are expendable.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't want to sound like Rockerfeller but money isn't important.

Look at it this way, the really expensive bikes tend to be carbon fibre performance bikes. That's fine for people who want that sort of thing but I don't. Unlike some people who have a bee in their bonnet about expensive bikes, I don't. I'm interested in them and the technology, but I don't want to own one, Nor do I want a titanium bike. Nothing against them, just not what I want.

All the bikes that I'd want - comfortable old-git type bikes, typically steel but I wouldn't rule out Aluminium, are within my price range if I really wanted one.

And I don't even want those, because I've already got one.

Last edited:

grldtnr

Über Member
I don't want to sound like Rockerfeller but money isn't important.

Look at it this way, the really expensive bikes tend to be carbon fibre performance bikes. That's fine for people who want that sort of thing but I don't. Unlike some people who have a bee in their bonnet about expensive bikes, I don't. I'm interested in them and the technology, but I don't want to own one, Nor do I want a titanium bike.

All the bikes that I'd want - comfortable old-git type bikes, typically steel but I wouldn't rule out Aluminium, are within my price range if I really wanted one.

And I don't even want those, because I've already got one.

We are on the same level , Dogtrews, just riding a bike is the best thing isn't it.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Prior to breaking my Femur I'd pretty much got the money saved for my 'dream' frame, a Mercian 'Audax Special' in Reynolds 853 with 531 forks, downtube shifter bosses and rack mounts. All the bits to build it into a bike are currently spread over about 3 of my current 'stable' but then swapping bits over from one bike to another has been a bit of a hobby for years as when I've seen a bit of quality kit reduced in the various shops I've bought it and uprated one of the bikes with the parts removed being fitted to another bike as 'upgrades' as part of this process I've currently got a 105 HT11 crankset and 105 rear mech (10 speed I think) and a set of Dura-Ace 8-9 speed bar end shifters* sitting in the shed unused likewise a B17 special in green and a couple of pairs of wheels hanging up.

* the original 9 speed Dura-Ace set up was unique in that it used the same spacing as 8 speed not the same as the later 9 speed spacing so the shifters ended up being 'sold off' very cheaply but you can switch the indexing off so they work in friction mode which was my original intention til a guy in a bike shop said he had an 8speed Dura-Ace cassette from the days when you could buy individual sprockets to build 'custom' gear clusters that "No-ones gonna buy these days" and sold it to me very cheaply (£30 instead of £200+)

Boopop

Guru
So far as expensive bikes are concerned, I've already got a Hase Pino electric assist tandem, a Bullitt cargo bike and a Pashley Sovereign Princess. OK the last one is not so expensive but there's no way I was paying £1,000 for one, or even £350 used. Happy with my £100 bargain.

I'm pretty well set for road bikes, so right now I'd have to say some 50's style Schwinn cruiser bike with the embellishments that make it look like an American car of that era. Completely impractical but it'd be fun to ride it on Critical Mass, iBike London, and other party rides. I would feel a touch pretentious though! Something like this:

1719831172965.jpeg

EDIT: Huh, that one went for "just" £500. That's less than I might have expected. It'd be fun to ride but I suspect turning up to a party ride on that in London and saying "Oh I only use it for Critical Mass" would probably be a bit offensive, especially if I didn't tell them I don't live in London 😂

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
A nice, sparkling new disc braked Van Nicholas Ti road bike.
It would be a nice upgrade from my current awesome Van Nic of which I have had over 12 years and has done many thousands of comfortable miles.

I’d probably do the same and upgrade my 14 year VN Amazon.

But I’d still keep the old one, it’s my favourite bike.

However a full Ti Brompton would also be very tempting

Top Bottom