I want to convert from flat handlebars -> drop handlebars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RHill

I have a Specialized Sirrus 3 (Flat Handlebars)
I bought it believing that I wouldn't cycle frequently.

I now road cycle every day and I realise I would prefer drop handlebars. I am not technical enough, with bikes, to perform the switch myself, and nor do I know which parts are required. I see some tutorials mentioning the requirement for new gear+brake cables, but I don't know if this is required, I'm also unsure as to whether the specific gear+brake shifters need to be compatible with the shifters on my drivetrain...

Please let me know if you can help, I'm inexperienced with bike technicalities.

Many thanks.

Sharky

Guru
Need to do a cost analysis for the switch. If planning on having a bike shop do the work, they will advise and give you a quote. But I suspect that the quote will be well over half the cost of a ready built road bike at say £700.

All my bikes are drop bar bikes, but I spend very little time on the drops. The bulk of my rides are on the tops or brake hoods, which is a similar position to flat bars.

One cheap and easy upgrade, would be to fit bar end extensions. This will give a varied position and should help when climbing out of the saddle.

Good luck

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You'll have to buy appropriate STI shifters using new cables. The problem you'll have is that the STI levers won't pull sufficient cable for the V brakes, assuming that's what you have. Won't be any such problem with discs.
I've heard of people using shorty Vs which should work. Perhaps someone could comment who's done this.
Having a shop carry out the work might be pricey.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
I recommend you sell the Sirrus and buy a bike with drop handlebars. You will be able to buy the latter second hand for less than the cost of the parts you'd need for the conversion (which I won't list). Plus labour if you can't do this.
https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/sirrus-30/p/200341?
It's made more complicated, and expensive, because you have hydraulic disc brakes: not even sure Shimano make 9sp STI with hydraulics. No matter: just go 10sp (ST-4720) but then you'd need a compatible RD (as the 4720s have 11sp cable pull).
Or change the brakes to mechanical (eg TRP Spyres) flat mount and use 9sp STIs (inexpensive second hand).
I like @Sharky 's suggestion of a pair of ergonomic bar end extensions/bull horns.

Big John

Guru
I don't use the drops much, if ever, and when I'm out I can't in all honesty say I see roadies on their drops much either. I'd simply go for bar extensions to give you a few different holding positions. Or, if you really want a drop bar bike, look for a second hand one (based on the theory that we all need X + 1 bikes).

EckyH

I'd simply go for bar extensions to give you a few different holding positions.
That would be my recommendation, too.

I'm inexperienced with bike technicalities.
The brake hoses for the hydraulic brakes and the cables for front derailleur are routed internally in the frame and fork. That complicates a hypothetical conversion.

The other question is whether the frame size (top tube length in particular) would allow you to get a comfortable position with drop bars on the bike and the handling of the bike doesn't suffer, because the drop bar is much shallower than the flat bar and - with the same stem - the brifters are significantly further away from the saddle than on the current flat bar.

E.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
having done such a conversion i second the option to either buy a drop bar bike or bar ends .Its not as simple as it sounds as apart from the issues with conversion the geometry of a flat bar bike tends to be longer so you would need a shorter stem to accommodate the extra reach which can affect steering if you go to short

alicat

Legendary Member
Welcome to the forum, btw :welcome:

Chislenko

Veteran
You'll have to buy appropriate STI shifters using new cables. The problem you'll have is that the STI levers won't pull sufficient cable for the V brakes, assuming that's what you have. Won't be any such problem with discs.
I've heard of people using shorty Vs which should work. Perhaps someone could comment who's done this.
Having a shop carry out the work might be pricey.

I had a drop bar with v brakes and they worked just fine until somebody wrecked it with a Vauxhall Astra!

Chislenko

Veteran
having done such a conversion i second the option to either buy a drop bar bike or bar ends .Its not as simple as it sounds as apart from the issues with conversion the geometry of a flat bar bike tends to be longer so you would need a shorter stem to accommodate the extra reach which can affect steering if you go to short

Exactly this re the stem. I was struggling on one of my drop bar bikes (bought second hand, a little too big) so went the other way and made it flat bar and never had any reach problems after that. I did it on the cheap, a next to nothing riser bar and a pair of Shimano 3x8 shifters, less than £50 the lot. Thankfully they worked just fine with the Sora 3x8 mechs.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I did a conversion of a V braked hybrid from flat bars to drops but that was cable braked with 7 speed rapidfire shifters, which shows how long ago it was. I did it myself using bits which I already had, and NOS spares, so it was relatively inexpensive to do. After overcoming the obstacles, including finding a virtually no-reach stem, it was actually a nice bike to ride, and I had the satisfaction of knowing I'd done it myself. I managed to retain the rapidfire system which worked surprisingly well once I'd got them round the curves of the drops to mount them under the flats. Would I do it again? Technology has moved on, with hydraulics, more speeds, and higher costs. I certainly wouldn't be able to afford bike shop prices for such a job as it's a lot of work, even if a bike shop would agree to do it. My interests have since moved on to recumbents, with plenty of scope for my bodgineering solutions to be applied to them.

I would look into using bar ends, or alternative bars which would use the same brake and gear levers. Bullhorn bars maybe, or even butterfly bars and a range of others in between. There is quite a choice out there. If all else fails, there's n+1!

Top Bottom