I want to convert from flat handlebars -> drop handlebars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I converted my first Sirrus to drop bars by selling it and buying an Allez :okay:

You can get drop bar ends if you like to get tucked in for headwinds as another budget-friendly alternative. Or, if you don't want to lose the control in traffic of braking from a more upright position, you could get a road or CX bike with cross-top brake levers. This thread just took me to eBay for a quick mooch around and there are definitely some bargains to be had between the over-optimistic chancers ^_^

PedallingNowhereSlowly

Welcome to the forum.

I do like dropped bars and do ride on the drops - into a headwind, when descending and sometimes just because I want a change of position. The other reason I'll grab the drops is when I need to brake hard and stay stable - because that's how you get most leverage on the brake levers.

That said, 3 of my 4 bikes have flat bars. Well, technically 3 of the 5, but one is on long-term loan.

I wouldn't convert a flat-barred bike to using dropped bars, for the reasons other have cited. I'd urge you to buy another bike - and keep the Sirrus. You will probably find that both bikes have their uses. I would also echo the sentiment about bar ends on flat bar bikes. In terms of giving an alternative position, they are good. Not quite as good as dropped bars, which there's about four or five different hand positions I use, but much better than having just the one position to hold.

As an alternative, you might want to look at some of the other bar designs out there. Perhaps some butterfly bars or Koga's "Denham Bar" might fit the bill. I think there are quite a few others too.

Sharky

Guru
I do like dropped bars and do ride on the drops - into a headwind
Riding on the drops into a head wind isn't necessarily the most efficient.
Keeping the forearms horizontal and tucked in front of the body, on tops, is more aero.

All the other reasons for drops, control, descending and braking etc are all valid.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Riding on the drops into a head wind isn't necessarily the most efficient.
Keeping the forearms horizontal and tucked in front of the body, on tops, is more aero.
All the other reasons for drops, control, descending and braking etc are all valid.
Well actually wind tunnel experimentation shows that paws on top of (ie fingers forwards) the hoods, lower arm close to horizontal, is optimal / better than drops. And immediate access to the brake levers.
I guess this is what you mean by "on tops" (as opposed to on top of the bars).
Still need bars that allow that position (eg cut off drops) - in which case keeping the cut off bits make sense. But would lose you 'cor, look at that' bragging rights. Whatever, STIs are needed (or drop bar brakes anyway), if fingers/hands are to be close enough to brake levers for sensible riding.

Last edited:

PedallingNowhereSlowly

As may be and I'll adopt that position if the surface I'm on is good and the traffic situation feels safe/predictable but I feel more stable getting my weight down lower where I can cover the brakes otherwise.

Apologies, we're drifting off topic.

Top Bottom