I can only imagine why this never caught on!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
But the phrase "in tandem with" is accepted English.

That's the joy of language. New meanings pop up and definitions change. Some people are more accepting than others.

There used to be a computer manufacturer called Tandem who made fault-tolerant computers. It was so called because most components were in pairs so there was a redundant backup. Now these components weren't strictly one in front of the other. I expect a few people were keen to point out that because of this "Tandem" was a misnomer.

Incidentally Tandem computers had a banking system called "Internet". For a while the Tandem nerds tried to cling on to the fact that this was the proper Internet. It was a losing battle and the system was renamed in the 90s.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Not in my version of English - are you thinking of 'in conjunction with'? And the phrase has nothing to do with how one or more bicycles harnessed to and behind other bicycles got their name.

I might use "in conjuction with" to describe disimilar things in proximity, and "in tandem with" to describe identical/similar things in proximity.
But I'd be quite flexible about my definitions.

Top Bottom