How short before you'd just walk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
I work 6 miles from home, but I have this daft thing that I don't go the same way twice in a set of shifts.

It's a 25min ride or 100min walk.

I usually regret walking at the end of a shift, usually at 1am.

Local shop is about half a mile away I ride/walk on a 50:50 split depending on what I'm buying.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
the time spent unlocking/locking up the bike at either end and getting kit on and off means I wouldn't really save much time at the end of the day.
I admire your dedication to the World Naked Bike Ride, but it's not essential to get your kit off every ride! Riding in whatever makes things faster and simpler, once the bike is set up for it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My rule of thumb... if the walk is fifteen minutes or more, I'll get the bike out. If not, I'll just walk.
That sounds about right to me.

The garden centre in Walsden is a brisk 35-40 minute walk for me. If I worked there I would definitely cycle instead.

Morrisons is a brisk 10 minute walk, which I would do rather than cycle.

Thinking about what lies between, I'd say that the changeover point would be about a 15 minute walk away.

That assumes very secure bike parking at the place of work, and a reasonably safe route for the ride.

presta

Guru
I suppose the dividing line would have to be about 3 miles, because the retail park is a 3 mile round trip, and I sometimes did it on the bike and sometimes on foot. I did walk it with the bike once, when I was fetching a lawnmower from B&Q with it perched on the rack.

Gwylan

Veteran
I can cycle, but I cannot walk. Beyond a few (<400) hundred metres the bike wins.
I've found the bike and train a winning combination for upto 50km trips Train one way and cycle the other, or some mixture of the two.

Top Bottom