How long until my arsebones stop aching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Padded saddles and shorts are for whimps!! Go buy yourself a razor blade from the local bike shop - then stick on a pair of jeans and ride until the inseams rub your legs til they bleed!!! Then my son, you'll be a man cyclist!

Seriously - try a few saddles (from a saddle library) until you find one that suits you. Ultimately the pad/no pad lower option is up to you. I wear padded shorts (or padded underwear if riding with Baggy Shorts). I always find that I get a sweat rash if I don't use Chamois creme in the summer - and trust me, you don't want one of those!!

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Saddles are sold in oen of three widths. (cant remember the exact sizes). The width you need depends on the gap between your arse bones, not the size of your arse. I suspect your saddle is too wide. Specialized are good for this as in their shops they get you to sit on a pad that bears your impression for a while, then they measure up the width and you can try a saddle for a few days for free or nominal fee plus a £50 (when I did it) deposit.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
By the way the best way of increasing chafing is to have a too padded saddle. There's a good reason the tdf riders have minimal saddles.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
After about a fortnight my arse bones stopped hurting. I did buy some padded shorts at that time but the pain was definitely on the way out by the time I bought them.
I have since gone and bought a female specific saddle but that was a couple of years in :tongue:

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have since gone and bought a female specific saddle but that was a couple of years in :tongue:
I have been tempted to try a female specific saddle as another option to see if it would fit my arse bones better, and also one with the cut out for male anatomy blood flow.
I may well be cutting up an old saddle to work out where the cut out needs to be to work well before investing in a new saddle.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Everyone's different. I can't ride with a cut out saddle. :surrender:

Once I got used to my hard-as-concrete saddle on the road bike (took a couple of weeks), the softer saddle on the hybrid stopped feeling so comfortable. When funds allow, it'll get replaced for something less padded.

jim55

Guru
Yeah cut outs are the way forward , iv got a charge spoon on my fixed and can just aboutcope for a short commute , but i get a numb gooch after any more than 30 min
Iv got a selle italia with a cut out for longer journeys and its much better

The first time i got numb gooch i really shat myself and thought the lack of feeling was permanent , i hadno feeling at all in my meatand two veg ( chipolata anyone lol) for a hr after getting offbike

Night Train

Maker of Things
[QUOTE 2562025, member: 259"]Personally, i find getting the seat height right is more important than the design of the saddle. I've got all sorts and they're all pretty comfy.[/quote]
And the saddle angle too.

My Brompton saddle doesn't have a rigid mounting point as it is all plastic underneath and so the saddle gradually creeps and changes angle as I ride. I really do need a replacement before I do my imperial century.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Get yourself a proper saddle, Brooks may look hard at first but after a couple of weeks they are the best.
Depending on your sit bones either a B17 or B17 N (Narrow) Mine are like an old friend, just follow Brooks advice on "breaking in" use Proofide and above all RIDE IT

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
[QUOTE 2562025, member: 259"]Personally, i find getting the seat height right is more important than the design of the saddle. I've got all sorts and they're all pretty comfy.[/quote]

Mort me and you must be different as i can honestly say , in all the years i have ridden bikes never had any issues .

ok i now use a couple of Selle smp saddles but only for health reasons , others have ridden my bikes and got off complaining how uncomfy they are , but i do not find them uncomfy at all

Top Bottom