How long until my arsebones stop aching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Keep at it, but give it a rest now and then. :thumbsup:

Cooper645

Lol, do you wear cycling shorts? If so do you use chamois creme, I would advise both.

I recall my first foray back into cycling on a road bike a year ago, my arse was in agony for a couple of days after each ride. It does bet better, but it massively improved when I changed my saddle, got my sit bones measured at a local hargroves shop, and ended up with a new saddle which was recommended for my sit bone size, now I tend not to suffer any discomfort until after about 4 hrs in the saddle, but a few hrs after the pain has gone.

HTH, I'm sure others will be along soon with their experiences.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Or just get a decent padded gel saddle.

Can't see the point of padded shorts and stuff when you can just pad the saddle. Then you can ride in jeans (and tee shirt, and steel toe boots like I do) and not have to worry about all that lycra nonsense!

:whistle:
problem with gel saddles is there is too much gel and it migrates...making things more uncomfortable (gel ends up pushed into places where you don't want it to be in) ....padded shorts have minimal padding, just where you need it and it doesn't migrate...

Night Train

Maker of Things
problem with gel saddles is there is too much gel and it migrates...making things more uncomfortable (gel ends up pushed into places where you don't want it to be in) ....padded shorts have minimal padding, just where you need it and it doesn't migrate...
Doesn't have to be gel.
I just prefer to have the padding in the saddle rather then in my shorts, if padding was needed at all then it might as well be on the saddle.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Doesn't have to be gel.
I just prefer to have the padding in the saddle rather then in my shorts, if padding was needed at all then it might as well be on the saddle.

You move against a saddle, shorts move with your body, padded shorts > a padded saddle, thems the facts!.

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
Thats your body's way of telling you you aren't pushing hard enough.

Acceptable bike positions;
1. Doing the Bertie Shuffle, out of the saddle dancing as you climb a hill.
2. Doing the Cav Throttle, out of the saddle and hunched over the bars as you cane it on the flat
3. Doing the Tuck, out of and below the saddle as you scream down a descent

Unacceptable bike positions;
1. On the saddle.

Or, more seriously, a mixture of what others have said.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Second what @snorri said!
After many happy miles without any padding whatsoever I could not resist the lure of cycling shorts - well the whole of cycle chat seems to wear them, must conform :scratch:
Well, I hate the effing things, it's like wearing a giant heated Pampers nappy :laugh:
But to each his own: I can do 60 miles without, will only wear them if planning more miles.
Some saddles though are just uncomfortable, try a few if you can.

Top Bottom