How does a train driver know when to start slowing down...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I would have thought a train driver knows in the same way anyone in proper control of a vehicle should know for the vehicle they are in proper control of.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I would have thought a train driver knows in the same way anyone in proper control of a vehicle should know for the vehicle they are in proper control of.

For some reason, I want to sing that to the tune of "All I want is a proper cup of coffee...."

In answer to the original question, perhaps it's "When he sees Jenny Agutter waving her red flannel petticoats at him..."

Brains

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1647515, member: 9609"]A little off topic, but do trains have keys, ignition keys like cars and lorries have. Same question for Jumbo Jets, Helicopters, Oil Tankers, do they all have a set of keys and immobilisers? I have never heard of anybodies holiday being delayed because the pilot cannot find his keys, but may its happened and they have made some other excuse to sound professional.[/quote]

Oil Tankers do not have keys for the ignition.
They have a chief engineer to starts and stops the engine on command from the bridge, but it's not something you can do in five minutes (OK so this is an emergency shut down)

The stopping distance for a loaded VLCC is the Captain will start reducing speed off Lands End for Rotterdam

Keith Oates

Janner
They have a chief engineer to starts and stops the engine on command from the bridge, but it's not something you can do in five minutes (OK so this is an emergency shut down)

The stopping distance for a loaded VLCC is the Captain will start reducing speed off Lands End for Rotterdam[/quote]

That is not correct, although they can take a few miles to stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The stopping distance for a loaded VLCC is the Captain will start reducing speed off Lands End for Rotterdam

I have worked on one ship (a LPG gas tanker) that did have an 'ignition' key. It was on the Bridge and actually opened a valve for the air used to to start the main engine. It always amused us engineers trying to persuade any new deck officers that they actually did have to turn on the 'ignition' before we could start the engine as they thought we were taking the mick. Which, to be fair, we usually were with them.

I do allow other engineeers to start the engines too :smile:

TheDoctor

Noble and true, with a heart of steel
I've been on the bridge of a SeaCat when Hoverspeed ran them. I don't remember an ignition key, but I was disappointed that the steering process relied on clicking a load of waypoints with a mouse.

On the Underground, train drivers know when to slow down. Bob Crowe just tells them to.
I_m_all_right_Jack_01.jpg
:santa:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Trains and locomotives do have keys. Depending on the type of stock, the driver has a No.1 key to unlock the controls, so no-one should be able to nick a train, and some older loco's have a key like and ingnition key to allow the batteries to power up the engine and associated equipment.

Globalti

Legendary Member
We had a bouncer at college called Bill Pearce who stole a train at Wolverhampton and drove it to Stafford. He got a 2 year suspended sentence for that.

Top Bottom