Highest Mileage on a normal car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I know commercial vehicles get astronomical mileage, but on reading the Car/House Value thread, I was wondering what the most miles a CC'r has got out of a standard car, and what sort of car it was.

I had 140k ish out of a Xsara Picasso diesel before it got to the point where every time I drove it I expected it to be the last time, so I sold it, and according to the DVLA it went on for a few more years.

I also had 130k out of a diesel Alfa 156, but by then various things had gone wrong, and although it still ran, it needed more money spent on it than seemed sensible.

The current vehicle is a Civic petrol with 191,000 miles. The engine is still going strong, although it uses a bit more oil than it used to, and it needs a bearing replacing - nothing major. I'm going to keep it until it falls apart I think - everything apart from one electric window in the back and the hands free phone system works as it should. The Sat Nav DVD is 10 years out of date too, but I just use google like everyone else anyway :-)

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
We've got 275K between our two, so nothing spectacular - higher is a 153K Volvo - 122K in a Panda isn't bad, mind

tyred

Legendary Member
People are needlessly afraid of high mileage cars IMO. With care and servicing, modern engines are capable of huge mileage. (Unless it's that hideous 3 cylinder VW thing).

There's about 250 thousand on my 205 on the original engine.

My Mum's 306 had 330,000 on it when it was sold. My uncle ran his Toyota Carina to 370,000 before the engine gave up. I've seen Peugeot 305s and MK II Golfs with excess of 400,000. A friend of my uncle's even ran a Montego estate to around 300,000 although I think he may have rebuilt the engine at some point.

Alex321

Guru
I had three cars in a row which did between 220 and 240K miles before I got rid of them. In each case I put over 100K of those onto them. This was while I was working as a contractor, then permanent with a 75 mile each way commute, and was doing in the region of 40K miles per year.

These were all diesel estates - One Peugeot 405 and two Mondeos.

It wasn't the engine that caused me to get rid of those cars, but rather too many issues with other parts wearing out.

My current car (Insignia diesel estate) has so far done 105K, but I am doing FAR fewer miles now.

presta

Guru
My Capri had 106k on when I sold it, the Cortina 97K, and the Accord 180k (out of which 150k was mine).

a.twiddler

Veteran
Our 2001 family Skoda Fabia 1.9 TDI did quite well. I was the second owner, then it went to my daughter to make regular trips to the other end of the country when she started a postgraduate course, then to my son who ragged it about a bit locally, though he is an engineer and kept on top of everything, then it came back to me as a 2nd car, then to my daughter again. She was hoping to see 200,000 miles on the clock but it was written off by some peanut in a monster SUV pulling out of a junction without looking at a little over 180,000. She had the satisfaction of learning that the SUV was a write off and had to be transported away while the Skoda was at least able to limp home before the insurance decided that due to its age and mileage it wasn't economic to repair. I don't normally get attached to cars but I was very sad to see it end its existence like that.

a.twiddler

Veteran
The older pugs and VW diesels are the way to go for high milages..

It does seem that newer cars with extra sensors and emission reduction systems are more prone to develop some expensive electronic fault that will render them uneconomic to repair long before the mechanicals wear out. All very well with newish cars on lease replaced every couple of years but there must be plenty like me who buy a car and find out the hard way what starts to cost money in not-so-high-mileage cars well before their anticipated expiry date.

Top Bottom