Grand children.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
do you have problems with yours ? We have a soon to be 12 year old grand child ( and many more too ) and I must admit I don't get on very well with him. I dread him having sleep overs as he is very self centered and selfish. I refuses to follow my house rules and his nana ( my wife ), always takes his side. Only what he wants matters so we constantly clash. That causes a lot of tension when he is at our house but, fortunately, he doesn't come so often as he must be aware of this .
He is starting secondary school tomorrow so I hope he will grow up a bit and change his attitude.

Gunk

Guru
He is starting secondary school tomorrow so I hope he will grow up a bit and change his attitude.

no, they get worse! :evil:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Just speak to his parents and say what the problem is, surely something can be sorted out? What is he doing exactly that's the problem? House rules like what?. If its something really bad, I'd say he cant sleep over at the moment.
At 12+ he'll be wanting to be off with his friends more now I would think, so he might not want to stay anyway.

Gunk

Guru
No problems with any of mine. My youngest, just turned 3, recently promised me he wouldn't start any fires if I bought him some sweets. I took that as a good sign.

You just need basic rules, no knives, no guns

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Just speak to his parents and say what the problem is, surely something can be sorted out? What is he doing exactly that's the problem? House rules like what?. If its something really bad, I'd say he cant sleep over at the moment.
At 12+ he'll be wanting to be off with his friends more now I would think, so he might not want to stay anyway.
Don't treat others like your servants.
When you go to the toilet, turn light off on your way out.
Don't use your phone / tablet whilst at the table when we eat.
Learn to say "Please" and "Thank you".

These are simple, easy rules to follow.

Gunk

Guru
That's bad manners really. I'd just say he cant stay over again until he learns some manners.

Or just lighten up, relax the rules and make his stay the best you can. Do something with him one to one which you’ll both enjoy, take him fishing or cycling. Once teenagers relax, they start talking and they often have a lot of stuff to say.

I've just come out of the woods with a difficult teenager and being strict and enforcing lots of rules really doesn’t work, I’m afraid in my experience you need to be slightly counter intuitive, however much you feel like ringing their necks.

Top Bottom