Google pay or similar.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I think it's overrated risk. You're probably going to be responsible for giving the fraudsters your details. The old classic card readers in cash points, reading devices on card readers in shops and garages, or another old classic double swipe by the shop owner, etc.
Nope I rarely use my card except in cash machines (and even then ones that are 'internal' i'e' not outdoors so it is very difficult for scammers to fit the 'false fronts' with readers to them) I also have a 'block' in place that no transactions can be made without me and my card being physically there so no phone/internet payments using my account details but the 'contactless/swipe' transactions would still go through this block.
I find it easier to keep track of my spending by this method and having been a victim of A/C No. 'hijacking' * in the past feel much safer.
Here's a good one though, a few years back Maz was shopping and paid by card (Back when you handed your card to the cashier who swiped it through the till mounted reader) when she was done packing her purchases she asked the girl on the till where her card was "I gave it back to you" replied the cashier Maz told her she hadn't and requested the manager. Eventually after about 10 minutes the bank card was discovered underneath the till and this wasn't some 'tuppeny hapeney' shop but Wilco in the middle of Leicester.

Any Visa or Mastercard credit or debit card can be used with them. The bank doesn't need to support it.

I have my MBNA credit card set up in Google Wallet, and it just works. I need to unlock the phone (normally done using fingerprint), and then just hold it to the terminal.

Garmin pay isn't the same, it's Bank limited.

tom73

Guru
Not entirely true. Barclaycard pulled support for Apple Pay last year., instead building it into their own app making it less convenient to use.

Totally true it has always been all down to a bank or card issuer if they want to support Apple pay or not. As they have pay Apple a fee to be allowed to use it's NFC technology. The EU are shortly making Apple open up it's technically to 3rd partly payment apps. Which kind of defeats the whole point of it in the 1st place.
It looks like it depends which Barclaycard if what they say is up to date. According to the website the following are not supported. "Barclaycard Commercial cards, Woolwich Open Plan Gold cards or on the American Express card on a Barclaycard Cashback Account"
Full official Apple pay supported list by country https://support.apple.com/en-gb/109516

Personally I can't really remember the last time I use a card to pay for anything. Every things on my Apple watch so it's Apple pay for pretty much most things. Not having to worry about the £100 limit has come in handy a few times too.

Alex321

Guru
Not entirely true. Barclaycard pulled support for Apple Pay last year., instead building it into their own app making it less convenient to use.

Then they closed their App and returned to allowing use on Apple or Android devices using Apple Pay or Google Wallet.
https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/customer/contactless

Though there may still be some card issuers who don't allow it, in general it is true that if a card can be used contactless, then it can be added to Google Wallet (I know less about Apple).

I'll admit I hadn't realised it was down to the individual issuer, I thought it was a Visa/Mastercard thing.

steverob

Guru
Then they closed their App and returned to allowing use on Apple or Android devices using Apple Pay or Google Wallet.
https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/customer/contactless
I was about to say that, as I've got a Barclaycard (albeit a non-standard one) and it let me set up Apple Pay on that very recently without question.

However I don't use the NFC functionality on my phone, preferring to put my card in the machine when I'm out shopping (force of habit mainly). The reason for setting up Apple Pay is for a certain take-away app that no longer saves card details, so I either had to use Apple Pay or type in my card details every single order and I'm too lazy for that!

Tenkaykev

Guru
I have a FD account that gets pocket money transferred into it every month. That's connected to my phone and Garmin watch and I pay with that out and about.

I don't normally take my proper Bank card out. If that were cloned the rapscallions would get more cash out than my picket money account allows.

I do similar with my Chase card. I make a point of trying to only use it in pubs, bars and cake shops so their profiling algorithms are skewed 😄

classic33

Leg End Member
Nope I rarely use my card except in cash machines (and even then ones that are 'internal' i'e' not outdoors so it is very difficult for scammers to fit the 'false fronts' with readers to them) I also have a 'block' in place that no transactions can be made without me and my card being physically there so no phone/internet payments using my account details but the 'contactless/swipe' transactions would still go through this block.
I find it easier to keep track of my spending by this method and having been a victim of A/C No. 'hijacking' * in the past feel much safer.
Here's a good one though, a few years back Maz was shopping and paid by card (Back when you handed your card to the cashier who swiped it through the till mounted reader) when she was done packing her purchases she asked the girl on the till where her card was "I gave it back to you" replied the cashier Maz told her she hadn't and requested the manager. Eventually after about 10 minutes the bank card was discovered underneath the till and this wasn't some 'tuppeny hapeney' shop but Wilco in the middle of Leicester.
I'd similar done in a branch of Argos. The person on the other side put my card through a "door entry reader" on his side of the counter. Manager came over wanting to know what my problem was. Told her what I'd just seen done, and got told they don't have a door entry system on their side, why would they. She did look at the area between the counter and door finding a small card reader on the wall.

Card has a £10 contactless limit per transaction, £30 with the PIN number.
Put in place when after I had my cards taken whilst on the floor and not on this planet. Used later the same day to buy booze.

What is the situation with banks supporting such cardless payment systems? I have a fenix 6 that you can use to make NFC payments but looking on the garmin site it's mostly just the disruptor banks or minor banks or online only banks that are supported in the UK. How can you use them without having a supported bank account?

I use Curve on Garmin pay. Works a treat switch between cards. Never had any fraud on it, used it for years since I got my vivoactive

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I've been using Google wallet for a couple of years, pretty easy to setup. Probably more secure than a card as you have to unlock the phone before you pay. I have Tesco clubcard, nectar & train tickets etc in the wallet app too.

Bit late to this.

But... yes, it is far more secure than using a card. Hence, why banks love the things.

The token matching process ensures that no sensitive card details are given to the retailer.

No-brainer in terms of security of usage.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just tuck the card in the back of the phone case.

Funnily enough I was doing a clear out and came across a small adhesive credit card - about 10 years old or thereabouts - that they gave you to stick on your phone. I shoved mine into a drawer.

Top Bottom