Google pay or similar.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markemark

Über Member
I've just got a new phone with NFC and am wondering if I should bother setting it up for contactless payments, at the moment I'm happy with using my bank card.

If I do go for it is there one app that's better than any other, or can I use my own banking app for it?

It’s safer. Your card can be used up to £100 contactless so if you drop it or swiped. then it’s vulnerable. Phone payments require Face ID (normally) so this is far more secure. Yes security services and unlock your phone. But if it’s been nicked they’ll not be able to.

It also makes payments to website and apps much safer as you’re not passing them your card info.

HSBC and Natwest both do. Dunno about others.

The garmin pay is accepted by santander and no other high Street bank.

Garmin Pay

All others seem to support most high street banks.

For me I'd be tempted by garmin Pay off they supported the banks I bank with. I almost always have my garmin on but I don't always have my phone. In fact I'm more likely to carry cards than a phone. It's a shame about garmin.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The garmin pay is accepted by santander and no other high Street bank.

Garmin Pay

All others seem to support most high street banks.

For me I'd be tempted by garmin Pay off they supported the banks I bank with. I almost always have my garmin on but I don't always have my phone. In fact I'm more likely to carry cards than a phone. It's a shame about garmin.

I don't think either of my Etrexes do payments :laugh:

What is the situation with banks supporting such cardless payment systems? I have a fenix 6 that you can use to make NFC payments but looking on the garmin site it's mostly just the disruptor banks or minor banks or online only banks that are supported in the UK. How can you use them without having a supported bank account?

You can get a free Curve card and link cards to that and then link the Curve card to Garmin Pay. Convoluted but it works.

I use my phone with a Google Wallet, which mostly works fine. I have never found the phone to be great for navigation though - for various reasons.
Yeah! I agree but best not go there online, right!

All these 'smartphones' are the reason I now keep my debit card in an RFID sleeve, anyone within reasonable proximity can copy your details onto a phone. :cursing:

Last time I looked the research showed that there had not been any fraud / theft relating to cloning cards remotely that RFID would prevent. Apparently a few research establishments have managed it under controlled circumstances.

I think it's overrated risk. You're probably going to be responsible for giving the fraudsters your details. The old classic card readers in cash points, reading devices on card readers in shops and garages, or another old classic double swipe by the shop owner, etc.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I use the wallet app on my android phone. I set our main card as the default payment and it works well every time. Much easier (I find) than caryying cards around, as my phone case doesn't have a slot for cards. If you want to pay on a different card than the default one, you just open the wallet and swipe across to another card. My Google phone has an extra layer of security than my last (Samsung) phone did i.e. even if it's unlocked, it still requires a fingerprint verification to proceed.

My Google Pay doesn't work (long story but I'm not sending Google hard copies of my ID to verify the account). If you can set it up on your phone it is very handy. You can pay for things like JustEat, cinema tickets etc and Google Pay is universally more accepted than most other types. I have to get by with PayPal which works for 90% of things but the odd time (e.g. paying for parking) is not an option as payment method.

I have a FD account that gets pocket money transferred into it every month. That's connected to my phone and Garmin watch and I pay with that out and about.

I don't normally take my proper Bank card out. If that were cloned the rapscallions would get more cash out than my picket money account allows.

Alex321

Guru
What is the situation with banks supporting such cardless payment systems? I have a fenix 6 that you can use to make NFC payments but looking on the garmin site it's mostly just the disruptor banks or minor banks or online only banks that are supported in the UK. How can you use them without having a supported bank account?

Any Visa or Mastercard credit or debit card can be used with them. The bank doesn't need to support it.

I have my MBNA credit card set up in Google Wallet, and it just works. I need to unlock the phone (normally done using fingerprint), and then just hold it to the terminal.

Top Bottom