Google pay or similar.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Squire
I've just got a new phone with NFC and am wondering if I should bother setting it up for contactless payments, at the moment I'm happy with using my bank card.

If I do go for it is there one app that's better than any other, or can I use my own banking app for it?

Slick

Guru
I simply refuse to go down that route.

I do realise that makes me Uncle Albert, but its just a step too far for me.

If you will be using multiple cards then it’s probably best to use Google Wallet or similar on your device. If it’s a single card then I’d use the banks own app if it supports NFC payments.

As for NFC payments I have them set up on my iPhone, Apple Watch, Garmin watches and even have a watch strap with NFC for devices that don’t support it themselves.

What is the situation with banks supporting such cardless payment systems? I have a fenix 6 that you can use to make NFC payments but looking on the garmin site it's mostly just the disruptor banks or minor banks or online only banks that are supported in the UK. How can you use them without having a supported bank account?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
What is the situation with banks supporting such cardless payment systems? I have a fenix 6 that you can use to make NFC payments but looking on the garmin site it's mostly just the disruptor banks or minor banks or online only banks that are supported in the UK. How can you use them without having a supported bank account?

HSBC and Natwest both do. Dunno about others.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Everyone in the house uses the Halifax app on their phones but me, though like many on here I'm bit of a...

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I've just got a new phone with NFC and am wondering if I should bother setting it up for contactless payments, at the moment I'm happy with using my bank card.

If I do go for it is there one app that's better than any other, or can I use my own banking app for it?

Google or Apple Pay it’s the OS handling it. You add the bank cards you want, with a step to authorise with the relevant banks. Then you have the option of using your phone if you’ve forgotten your wallet / cards etc. Contactless you just bring phone close the machine / reader and authorise.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I have Apple Pay set up. It’s fine and works quite well almost ll the time. Not as straightforward as tapping a card but a good back up. As others have said it’s more secure as it checks Face ID before authorising. It’s also good for paying on some apps like ringo for parking or northern for trains.

Top Bottom