Glastonbury 2024 šŸŽ¶

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Cyndi Lauper took a while to get into gear, but the antics of the assorted people doing the audio description more than made up for it.

View: https://youtu.be/YHJ4pL7U0Po?si=HgdVWldVd3HuK4kK

An interesting video about ā€œliveā€ singing at Glastonbury. Some performances are now just karaoke over a backing track. Not really what you would expect from a true music festival.

I suspect this was what Dave Grohl was talking about when he called out Taylor Swift.

I like his comment that 'the top level artists back in the day were the top level artists because they were so good at [playing live]'.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

View: https://youtu.be/YHJ4pL7U0Po?si=HgdVWldVd3HuK4kK

An interesting video about ā€œliveā€ singing at Glastonbury. Some performances are now just karaoke over a backing track. Not really what you would expect from a true music festival.

I suspect this was what Dave Grohl was talking about when he called out Taylor Swift.

I like a lot of Fil's videos. The problem these days is the average music lover doesn't really care if an artist is performing live or just 'performing', or even completely unable to sing without using auto-tune. To me, a singer relying on auto-tune is the same as using an ebike in the TdF. It's just fecking cheating! :cursing:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I like a lot of Fil's videos. The problem these days is the average music lover doesn't really care if an artist is performing live or just 'performing', or even completely unable to sing without using auto-tune. To me, a singer relying on auto-tune is the same as using an ebike in the TdF. It's just fecking cheating! :cursing:

I think lots of modern music is so over produced that itā€™s almost impossible to play it live. The days of a singer, drummer and two guitarist are gone.
Even the Beatles later stuff was designed for the studio and couldnā€™t be properly reproduced live. But they would never dream of not singing or playing with a click track.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I think lots of modern music is so over produced that itā€™s almost impossible to play it live. The days of a singer, drummer and two guitarist are gone.
Even the Beatles later stuff was designed for the studio and couldnā€™t be properly reproduced live. But they would never dream of not singing or playing with a click track.

Modern 'pop' music is so processed, compression, autotune and overdubbing. Digital reproduction has such a potential 'dynamic range' but it isn't used (See articles on the 'loudness wars') everything is made to sound OKish on small speakers/mobile phones/earbuds but us owners of reasonable HiFi can pick holes in the sound where every bit is 'pushed' to the limits instead of quiet portions and loud passages.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Bohemian Rhapsody being a case in point :rolleyes:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Bohemian Rhapsody being a case in point :rolleyes:
Agreed.
But Queen always played the song live.
Other than the opera bit which they either missed out or pre recorded.
At Live Aid they stopped the song at that part and went straight into another song as they were short on time.
On their 1986 Wembley shows they cut into a pre recorded bit with no suggestion that it was anything other than a recording.

Top Bottom