Glastonbury 2024 🎶

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Never Glastonbury but been to plenty of other festivals, Leeds Festival several times and some abroad. A memorable one was Bingley Music Festival (cancelled for this year apparently), it always had a good mix of big and up and coming bands although I will confess the last one I attended we stayed in an AirBNB (not my choice) and not camping!

2 that stand out for the wrong reasons were Leeds 2002/2005, both marked by violence on the last night. Not quite on the levels of Woodstock '99 (The Netflix documentary is excellent, but mistells some events) but on both occasions at Leeds there were large fires started, and general shitty behaviour going on.

presta

Guru
Anyone There.. Gone.. Been.. Going?

I went to the 'original' one in 1970

View attachment 735614

Not sure if I could handle it all now 😂

I'd rather go to that one, the turns are better.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Chatting to a friend of mine he recalled that in the 90s there were people selling access to fence defeating schemes. Pay £5 they'd let you use their tunnel, or trebuchet, or whatever.
We were sneaking around the fence around midnight tuesday/wednesday, trying to find a tree branch or railway sleeper or something to help us over it, and inadvertently fell into a hole that had been dug under it. I'd heard the following day that hole was guarded by thugs demanding £15.

By dawn we'd set up camp in the corner of one of the performers fields, close to a huge pile of free wood, a water point and not far from some 'decent' toilets... and Wednesday being the first day the public were allowed in, anyone who wasn't a performer or crew were being turned away from setting up camp there. No one thought to ask us, since we'd established ourselves overnight. :smile:

bobzmyunkle

Ãœber Member
I first went in 1981. £8 to get in apparently.
Taj Mahal was very good. Ginger Baker and Roy Harper had an undignified fight on stage - blood was drawn. Peace, love and understanding, brothers.
After the music finishing one night we went back to the tents, got the stereo speakers on the car roof and proceeded to carry on enjoying ourselves. Didn't last long, 'there's people trying to sleep'. Might have been midnight, I guess. Last went about 94, sleep wasn't on many people's agenda.
Anyhow by then it was far too big, I was too old, and finding anything I recognised as music was getting too difficult.
Mostly there was sunshine. When there wasn't we still enjoyed ourselves, it just took more effort.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
I've been to Glastonbury three times, and never paid. First time I jumped the fence (1995), the second time I was a performer, so got a free ticket and free meal each day (1998). Third time we just walked along the fence until we found a gap and stayed for 36 hours (2000).

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I first went in 1981. £8 to get in apparently.
Taj Mahal was very good. Ginger Baker and Roy Harper had an undignified fight on stage - blood was drawn. Peace, love and understanding, brothers.
After the music finishing one night we went back to the tents, got the stereo speakers on the car roof and proceeded to carry on enjoying ourselves. Didn't last long, 'there's people trying to sleep'. Might have been midnight, I guess. Last went about 94, sleep wasn't on many people's agenda.
Anyhow by then it was far too big, I was too old, and finding anything I recognised as music was getting too difficult.
Mostly there was sunshine. When there wasn't we still enjoyed ourselves, it just took more effort.

Blimey! Was Ginger Baker Harper's drummer or..?

More details needed!

Chris S

Legendary Member
I went in 87, tickets were £21 and it was a 'mudbath'.

85 or 86 was muddy as well. I lost my shoes in it and returned home in mud-caked socks.

The last time I went was in 1987. Official CND stewards were taking back-handers to let people in and security guards were robbing people sneaking through the fence. I think somebody robbed the beer tent with a shotgun that year as well.

bobzmyunkle

Ãœber Member
Who's this Joey Leaper they're on about?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
85 or 86 was muddy as well. I lost my shoes in it and returned home in mud-caked socks.

The last time I went was in 1987. Official CND stewards were taking back-handers to let people in and security guards were robbing people sneaking through the fence. I think somebody robbed the beer tent with a shotgun that year as well.

Didn't go to the 'beer tent', we'd taken quite a few cans in the Van we travelled down in and then we found some guys selling gallon 'jugs'* of rough scrumpy out the back of a transit for a couple of quid, went back the next day for another and one guy wanted a fiver but his mate who I'd shared a joint with the first time recognised me and said "No he's OK" and let us have em at 2 quid again I said "cheers Man" and passed him the doobie I was smoking once again and we had a bit of a natter, turns out they were pretty local and the Cider was from one of ems family farm.

* When I say jugs they were the kind of container you'd buy white spirit/turps in, new obviously but just a basic clearish plastic thing with a white 'screw on' cap

For Coldplay from a techy geek POV I'm quite impressed with the wireless wristbands they've given the audience that are activated for certain bits, and can have their colours/flashing controlled. Very nice visuals.

Ps My viewing companion is getting annoyed the subtitles are constantly 1 line behind lol!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
For Coldplay from a techy geek POV I'm quite impressed with the wireless wristbands they've given the audience that are activated for certain bits, and can have their colours/flashing controlled. Very nice visuals.

They are very clever, because they seem to be geo located, as they flash in sequence depending on where they are. And that can’t be pre programmed.

Top Bottom