Genesis updates the Croix de Fer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
All four of my bikes have square taper BBs.^_^

Three of them have Spa cranksets, and my main bike (Spa Aubisque) has Sora shifters.

My 1994 flat bar Marin Stinson has weird shifters. They are Shimano Deore XT flatbar shifters which work like dropbar shifters, you push the brake levers down to change gear!

The Temple has bar end shifters.

Nice - while I can appreciate the benefits of the Hollowtech system, the increasing dearth of cranksets available that suit my requirements in this format is certainly making me reconsider square taper (two of mine are already ST if not intentionally). Seems this isn't the only area where older stuff is becoming more appealing..

Didn't know about that shifter format; evidently didn't catch on although we're arguably nearly back there with some of the flare on gravel bike bars with STIs. How do you find them?

All uphill

Still rolling along
In practice I like the shifters a lot; the changes that need you to pull against the derailleur spring are made with your fingers on the relatively long brake levers, rather than with your solitary thumb on a short lever. Great for anyone with arthritis!

I think they were originally made for the shimano rear derailleurs that made the big cog the default - in other words with the gear cable disconnected the rd will push the chain to the lowest gear. This made for quick downchanges rather than quick upchanges, and is a better idea.

I'd love to find one of those Rapid Rise rds!

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
In practice I like the shifters a lot; the changes that need you to pull against the derailleur spring are made with your fingers on the relatively long brake levers, rather than with your solitary thumb on a short lever. Great for anyone with arthritis!

I think they were originally made for the shimano rear derailleurs that made the big cog the default - in other words with the gear cable disconnected the rd will push the chain to the lowest gear. This made for quick downchanges rather than quick upchanges, and is a better idea.

I'd love to find one of those Rapid Rise rds!

That's an interesting format; never head of that before. I wonder why it never caught on...?

All uphill

Still rolling along
That's an interesting format; never head of that before. I wonder why it never caught on...?

There's lots on the internet about it.

Rapid Rise became known as Rapid Demise.

Seems as though it was like the QWERTY keyboard; suboptimal but we are all used to it.

Top Bottom