Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Once I'd figured out the likely direction, I was fairly sure I knew where it is:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6...4!1symBmvPHupbmEP6dtSOXQUQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

One of three great climbs to the same summit, one going quite a bit higher en route. I must go back!

Ogmore.jpg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
i just did a right click to search with Google lens... but since that's kind of cheating, I figured I'd leave it a day to see if anyone more deserving found it. Well done Aravis :okay:

Alex321

Guru
Once I'd figured out the likely direction, I was fairly sure I knew where it is:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6...4!1symBmvPHupbmEP6dtSOXQUQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

One of three great climbs to the same summit, one going quite a bit higher en route. I must go back!

View attachment 661584

Well done Aravis.

That was the first time I climbed any of the "classic" climbs. Only done it once so far, my just possibly go back this afternoon, or next weekend.
I took it slower than I could have done because I didn't really know what to expect.

Over to you again.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Thanks @Alex321.

I captured this one from Streetview a while back. They've done at least as good a job as I could have done.

The one and only time I rode this was in 1984, before I knew anything about counting teeth. It's a continuous climb of almost 300 metres, and I probably had a bottom of something like 40/24.

Pond.jpg

Alex321

Guru

Aravis

Putrid Donut
A couple of pointers:
  • Although I've only cycled this particular road once, it's an area I've visited quite often, usually in winter.
  • Spectacular though this road is, I imagine most people by-pass it in favour of more obvious attractions nearby.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I believe it's somewhere in mid wales; Ellan Valley route from Aberystwyth to the Wye Valley?? I've found a matching photo on another cycling site, shot from almost the same place...
elanvalley3-64946a0.jpg
but i can't find it on a map or streetview :sad:

Found it...

Welsh climb.jpg

HERE. I can't see a name for it though.

There are some fantastic roads round there! Definitely somewhere to go for a cycling holiday...

I think @MontyVeda found the photo HERE. That sounds like a great route.

Last edited:

Alex321

Guru
Found it...

View attachment 661876

HERE. I can't see a name for it though.

There are some fantastic roads round there! Definitely somewhere to go for a cycling holiday...

I think @MontyVeda found the photo HERE. That sounds like a great route.

I'd been looking further down, towards Cwmystwyth. I did think it looked like that general area.

We were up that way beginning of August (without bike) for the national Eisteddfod in Tregaron - my wife's home town.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Well done @ColinJ.

Most people, I imagine, follow the route through the dams and never see this particular road. The area is best visited after prolonged heavy rain for obvious reasons, though I see there's an open day this Saturday allowing visitors to climb up inside one of the dams for what looks like a modest fee. I must investigate further.

Over to Colin.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm awarding myself a tenth of a point for figuring out the clues

Although I've only cycled this particular road once, it's an area I've visited quite often, usually in winter.
So I guessed S/Mid Wales for proximity to @Aravis Central. Other popular @Aravis locations in Scotland being ruled out by a) it doesn't look particularly Scottish and b) "often, usually in winter"

Spectacular though this road is, I imagine most people by-pass it in favour of more obvious attractions nearby.
I made a guess at the Elan valley because that was all that came to mind.

But I've exhausted my supply of patience for faffing around with Streetview only to find that someone else has beaten me, so I'll be satisfied with that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom