Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swansonj

Guru
Spot on. And phew! I was getting seriously worried that I'd set something too hard.

For those of you who don't know it (^_^), it's the other side of the River Mole/A24/Leatherhead to Dorking valley from Box Hill. Gazillions of cyclists go up Box Hill, either in the Prudential RideLondon 100, or just 'cos it's a mecca for cyclists. Rather fewer but still quite a lot set off from Westhumble up Ranmore Hill. But just a few hundred yards away from both, there's this lovely quiet climb*, up through the farmer's fields then getting steeper* in the woodland as it passes Norbury House and reaches the sawmill.

* I use "climb" and "steep" in their Surrey sense, not in any way intended to have credibility with northeners.

Over to you Milkfloat.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
@swansonj 's clues were too good. I have ridden near it quite a few times, but never near enough.

Here is one from me, a StreetView grab so I have blurred out the road number.

1612976653908.png

I am not expecting anyone to get it quickly - so I will provide a very difficult clue. This clue is the number 8848

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Did @Milkfloat 'Everest' that hill (8,848m being the altitude of the summit of Mt.Everest)
Aha!

I rode the Costwold Challenge twice. The route took us along the, er, edge of Edge Hill and then down the road that @Milkfloat's picture is looking up. We turned off to the right on the descent and went past an MoD base. The first time, I rescued an older rider who was intent on carrying on down the hill. I could tell from his positioning on the road that he was not going to turn so I sprinted down the hill to catch him before the turn and shouted "Cotswold Challenge?" He replied "Yes!" so I braked while shouting after him that he had missed the turn, turned right and waited. He eventually came back up the hill and admitted that he wasn't quite sure of that part of the route. I had it on my Garmin so he did the rest of the event with me. He was in his 70s, about 20 years older than me at the time, but he was probably slightly fitter than me. A couple of times I found myself drifting off his wheel.

robjh

Legendary Member
Bloody hell - I guessed it in one go! :laugh:

I don't understand the 8848 clue, but it is the B4086 going up to Edge Hill...
@ColinJ got there first, but I saw the picture and thought just the same thing. The roads around Edge Hill and the Tysoes were favourites of mine for a summer evening ride when I was working in Coventry.

Top Bottom