Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
I think the power station is Chapelcross.

Chapelcross occupies a 92 hectare site on the location of former World War II training airfield, RAF Annan, located 3 km north east of the town of Annan in the Annandale and Eskdale district within the Dumfries and Galloway region of south west Scotland.

A bit busy this morning so good luck to somebody finding the road.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I can confirm...

It is not Chapelcross

The visible chimneys have been demolished since the photo on googlemaps.

But the power station is still a going concern.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
https://goo.gl/maps/3EGMsrVnq16T79Ry6
Lynemouth Power Station in the distance - road running south from Cresswell towards the station.

Well done!

Spot on the location, but it's actually Lynemouth power station rather than Blyth. Although the chimneys, it turns out were for a now demolished Aluminium smelter, rather than the power station itself. That main chimney remains, but is hidden in the photo by the outbuilding.

The power station was originally located for the adjacent Ellington Colliery which extended under the North Sea for a very long way. All now gone save for a memorial statue.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Well done!

Spot on the location, but it's actually Lynemouth power station rather than Blyth. Although the chimneys, it turns out were for a now demolished Aluminium smelter, rather than the power station itself. That main chimney remains, but is hidden in the photo by the outbuilding.

The power station was originally located for the adjacent Ellington Colliery which extended under the North Sea for a very long way. All now gone save for a memorial statue.
Yes, I originally wrote Blyth as that was the Google search which apparently coincidentally led me to Lynemouth - I ninja edited to Lynemouth but obviously you saw my original message.

Anyway, the picture below I have cycled many times along both visible routes, but I've never ridden both on the same day...

1606493147060.png

robjh

Legendary Member
Yes, I originally wrote Blyth as that was the Google search which apparently coincidentally led me to Lynemouth - I ninja edited to Lynemouth but obviously you saw my original message.

Anyway, the picture below I have cycled many times along both visible routes, but I've never ridden both on the same day...

View attachment 560450
I was looking at the Ridgeway crossing roads in the Wiltshire downs but none look like this. Similar landscapes though.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The right idea, wrong county.
This isn’t the Ridgeway itself, but a connecting trail, hence the blue sign.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The track to the left does lead up to the Ridgeway; the track crosses over the road, so this is one corner of a crossroads-of-sorts. The road comes from a small village with an aviation-associated name.

Top Bottom