Front lights - how many lumens ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It points right into the eyes of oncoming users. If you are riding with others and turn to talk it goes right in their eyes. Please don’t don a head torch unless riding deep in the woods on your own.

Headtorches are a nuisance as an approaching rider. Anyone using one coming towards me get's a quick blast of 2000 lumen on full !

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
It points right into the eyes of oncoming users. If you are riding with others and turn to talk it goes right in their eyes. Please don’t don a head torch unless riding deep in the woods on your own.

Much like anything attached to the bike it points where I want it to; which is at the road in front of me.

I've passed oncoming cylists with correctly angled head torches with no issues. I've also been blinded by oncoming cyclists with incorrectly angled bar-mounted lights..

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I've passed oncoming cylists with correctly angled head torches with no issues. I've also been blinded by oncoming cyclists with incorrectly angled bar-mounted lights..
I have no expectation that a head torch meets the legal requirements for cycling; for one thing it's too high off the ground, and my height is quite average.
And if it's sold as a head torch it probably doesn't shape the beam to avoid dazzling;; and unless I imobilise my head I couldn't guarantee correct aim anyway. Head torches have useful applications, but hard to justify their use as the primary cycling light.

I suggest a pukka bike light bolted onto the bike at an appropriate angle is far less likely to dazzle than a head torch.

Drago

Legendary Member
If the lamp is built to German DIN standards it will put the light in the correct position.

On the polish border pointing towards Danzig?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm still on 400 Lumen max. And only on one bike.

This thread feels like a display of manhoods. And i've been caught short......

Oh no. I just searched on the net for my old Hope Vision 1 and it's a tiny weedy impotent 215 Lumens. :sad:
And if it's an older model it'll be even less than that.
https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/hope_vision_1_led_front_bike_light-ID_17082

And I find that fine, I don't often use it on full blast which I always thought was pretty bright. Shows what I know.

Edit: I've just found another link that says 250 lumens which, while still inadequate, is a bit better. The problem is that it is built like a tank and I expect it to last for a long time yet.

Edit: I've found a road.cc review from 2015 which is about when I bought it (maybe slightly earlier)
Hope claim a pretty hefty 240 lumens on Max, which is a mighty whack of light. https://road.cc/content/review/31817-hope-vision-1-led-front-light

See what inflation does for you. In 2015, 240 lumens was a mighty whack. Now it's an inadequate dribble.

Last edited:
Top Bottom