Front lights - how many lumens ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
When you ride is as important as how many lumens you have.

I found when commuting regularly that I needed a higher output during the dusk period when there is still some ambient light but not enough to see by, 200lm was inadequate during this period and I found 500 to be far better - and this is directed at the road rather than straight ahead. Once the sun has gone completely I found that 200lm was more than adequate to see by even at a decent speed although on off road sections I do enjoy jacking the output up the full 1300lm that my light can output.

I stopped thinking about it once I got a dynamo and lights though - the light I had was the light I had and it was more than good enough.

Seevio

Guru
Refers to torches but the same principle applies to many people on bikes:
flashlights.png

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've still got one of those huge maglite torches, I bought it in the 90s. It takes a whole load of batteries and gives off what we would now consider a moderate glow. These days I have a tiny little torch in the kitchen for when I want to venture up to the compost bin at night. It lights up the whole neighbourhood.

si_c

Guru
I've still got one of those huge maglite torches, I bought it in the 90s.

I used to know someone who did takeaway deliveries in a less salubrious part of Liverpool who had one of those around the same period, he kept it more for it's use as a bludgeon than it's light emitting capacity. You'd likely be laughed at trying to wield a modern flashlight as a weapon though.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I like a low light as it shows road imperfections better. The worst for this is a helmet light, which flattens everything.

Fair point about the road surface; equally I like a head torch as I find its movement with the head a lot better for situational awareness on unlit roads / the ability to see things that otherwise wouldn't be illuminated by a fixed light. It's also good for reminding drivers of where their dip switch is as necessary..

Drago

Legendary Member
I have no idea and have never thought to look. It lights up on dynamo, I can see and all is well.

Old fashioned!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Never give lights a thought honestly, ride and lights come on. Simple. I'd rather just ride than trawl endless statistics for 'best this or that' personally.

Top Bottom