Front lights - how many lumens ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lone Wolf

Über Member
You’ve probably had this question over and over. How many lumens do people use for front lights for standard road use ? I’m thinking of a Cateye Ampp500S (and Viz 150 rear). Enough or should I be looking for more ? Thx

Alex321

Guru
Lots :smile:

Seriously, it depends very much on the type of riding you will be doing.

If you are riding a significant amount after dark on unlit minor roads, then 500 is rather on the low side IMO. But if most of your after dark riding is on urban or main rural roads, it is probably enough.

But if you are getting much brighter lights, it is best to ensure they have a cutoff so that you don't dazzle oncoming drivers/riders. Or a dip function, such as the one I use - Ravemen 1600. They also do various other levels of output - 1200, 1400, 2000, 2400 at varying prices. I managed to find my 1600 for a bit less than shown there at Fawkes.

I did ride with a Cateye AMPP 800 for a year or two, and that was adequate - that is the same level as the dipped light on the one I have now.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You’ve probably had this question over and over.
We have, you should really know better

"standard road use" doesn't exist as a concept.

Unlit country lanes you need a lot, mainly directed down to see pot holes, and not flashing

In street lit towns you don't need a lot - there are better ways of being visible, such as reflectives.

If you are regularly riding busy cycle-paths, town /city infrastructure, too many lumens, badly directed, particularly flashing, is right pain in the arse / downright dangerous, but surprisingly popular..

Drago

Legendary Member
Modest few hundred is good enough to see where you're going. But...

There's lumens, downright lumens, and light manufacturer claims.

You can't trust trust the numbers, and as such the numbers aren't even much use as a comparison against one another, particularly when the type and efficiency of the reflector/lens is taken into account.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
All caveats above notwithstanding, my little Moon Nova alleges 80Lm and is good for being seen, just about OK to see where you're going on unchallenging terrain at modest speeds.

My headtorch's 400Lm setting is more than enough to see where you're going under any circumstances I've encountered, while 150Lm is adiquate most of the time.

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
It's a bit of an arms race isn't it? More recent LED lights are just so effective. Even a couple of years ago when I first had to use the Shimano hub dynamo on my Brompton in earnest, the light on it just being the standard one that came with it, I was perfectly able to see where I was going in the pitch dark on a potholed lane for the last few miles of my journey home. Similarly with a Cateye AMPP400 on a lower setting in the interests of an unknown number of hours of battery remaining on a different journey last year on the Linear. Even then, I had a distant car driver flash at me, so I had to direct it down a few degrees. More recently, on the Spirit, which unexpectedly came with a SON hub dynamo and Supernova E3 headlight, I was quite blown away by the amount of light available. How many lumens does that produce? Probably a lot, but I could probably have managed with less, even on the unlit lanes which I seem to spend a fair bit of time on.

While driving at night I often think that cyclists have a lot of stray light from cheaper lights that don't seem to have any cut off but maybe that's the nature of LED lights: you don't need much of that intense white light to go astray before you dazzle someone.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Where the light is mounted is a key point. I like the fork mount for most road uses although supplementary head torch can be useful in pitch black when looking for signs and off road. Handlebar mounts are a compromise and have to be carefully angled away from other users. As a migraine sufferer I really object to flashing front lights on the bars or helmet especially if using paths or narrow roads.

I've got a daytime running light front and one for darker conditions. The daytime one I don't know but it's bright enough to use in fully dark conditions but not at fast pace as it's bright but compact. The other one I have is rated around 1200 at full whack, I only really use the full mode either in traffic or complete darkness.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There are some good 'cheaper' lights that have a cut off these days - not the STVZO standard, but close, which is good for city commuting and down shared use paths where you might otherwise blind people. Been using mine a good 18 months since I discovered it (Rockbros, Newboller etc). I'll then back this up with a brighter light when needed.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
100 lux from my B&M IQ-X. Previously I used a Lidl cheapo, which was also STVZO-compliant, but didn't illuminate as much of the road. I like being on a dynamo now too (well, one of the bikes anyway).

If money was no object I'd like a Supernova M99 (dynamo version). That gives 200 lux whether in dipper or full beam, but sadly costs nearly £400. I thought £90 for the IQ-X was steep!

Where the light is mounted is a key point. I like the fork mount for most road uses although supplementary head torch can be useful in pitch black when looking for signs and off road. Handlebar mounts are a compromise and have to be carefully angled away from other users.
Even with a correctly adjusted light, the aim 'wobbles' over bumps. Just ride towards a reflective road sign at night and you can see how much wobble there is.
Trigonometry suggests the lower the light (and hence the shallower the angle to the road), the worse this wobble will be for dazzling people riding/driving/walking towards you.
Which is why I'm considering moving mine from fork to handlebars. I'm just not convinced there's enough space for light, bell, garmin, cafe lock and hands too.

Maybe I just need to tighten up my fork mounting a bit more.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Even with a correctly adjusted light, the aim 'wobbles' over bumps. Just ride towards a reflective road sign at night and you can see how much wobble there is.
Trigonometry suggests the lower the light (and hence the shallower the angle to the road), the worse this wobble will be for dazzling people riding/driving/walking towards you.
Which is why I'm considering moving mine from fork to handlebars. I'm just not convinced there's enough space for light, bell, garmin, cafe lock and hands too.

Maybe I just need to tighten up my fork mounting a bit more.
I agree the mount is important, I use an Edelux 2 which is pretty solid and gives good illumination of the road,all be it at a shallower angle. Personally I find lights on poorly positioned handlebar mounts the worst culprit for dazzle. Users are often unaware as basic mounts often secured with zip ties can rotate small amounts with use.

Drago

Legendary Member
I like a low light as it shows road imperfections better. The worst for this is a helmet light, which flattens everything.

Indeed. The human brain has evolved with a remote light source (the sun) and processes visual input accordingly. Placing the light source close to the eyes is an unnatural arrangement and cana affect various aspects of vision, depth perception and the ability to accurately judge speed. It's about the worst place to put a bike light.

Top Bottom