Flat bar road bike vs Road bike for speed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think 14.6 mph is a respectable average speed for a commute.

I used to average 16 mph on my 18 mile commute when I was at peak fitness with a steel dropped bar bike.

I could manage to average 20 mph on a carbon fibre racing bike, but I only did that a few times. It took a lot of effort on the open road to make up for all the sets of lights and traffic. And without a rack and mudguards, it wasn't really practical.

For regular commuting, it's always good to have a redundancy with more than one suitable bike. That way you aren't forced to drive/take the train when one is in need of repair or waiting on parts.

@markharry66 a £12k bike and lots of practice should get you this average speed?
20240717_185654.jpg

Jus started commuting into work on old btwin flat bar road bike 520. Just wondering if a road bike would be faster as cant seem to get past average speed of 14.6 mph.

When I started out commuting it was only 1.75miles direct (although leisure extension miles could be lengthen it) and on a flat bar and there probably would probably be no benefit in going dropped time wise.

My next commute was 17miles and whilst I started out on a flat bar, I changed to drops. I don't recall the time saving being significant (circa 10-15mins) but it was more enjoyable.

My next commute was only 3miles in the city and the majority of time that was on a flat bar simply because it was cheaper and less nickable. The dropped bar was kept for commute that I knew I was extending.

My next commute was a shorter again (again 1.75miles). I opted for a drop bar but it wasn't about speed, I sourced a cheap heavy fixie it was more about what I enjoyed riding. I prefer the different body positions that transition from the hoods/flats/drops presents to drivers it seems to catch their eye and the general feeling on the bike.

My subsequent commutes have all been longer and drops, so there is that 10-15mins saving but the larger thing for me is that I prefer riding drops.

There are 2 main forms of drag for a cyclist.
Rolling resistance of the tyres is proportional to velocity. Fatter tyres with more flexible walls and higher pressures have lower RR. This has biggest effect on efficiency at easy cruising speeds.
Aerodynamic drag is proportional to V squared. This is the limitting factor for high speed riding. AD is reduced by reducing the rider's frontal profile. Drop bars can help, but so can triathlon style aerobars. Tight, slick clothing can reduce AD, as can slim luggage. Narrower tyres and a slicker bike can help at very high speeds.
Your flat bar road bike can be enspeedified by attaching clip on aerobars. These are more efficient than road drop bars but are not permitted in group/bunch racing due to control and injury issues. They are used in solo events.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tyres are the main difference. On my commuter if I switch from the semi slicks, to the slick/knobbly tyres I'm a few minutes slower. If I switch to the winter tyres then add some more minutes. If I switch to the CX bike, then I'm about 5 minutes quicker to work easily. Road bike would be faster.

Sticking faster tyres on your commuter could help, but they could also mean more flats from glass etc, so there is always a happy medium. I find it better to have a dedicated commuter bike that's geared for all weather, then other bikes for 'other stuff'.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
+1 to the tyres comment.

I commute using a drop bar CX bike with 35mm cyclo-cross tyres. It's about 5-10 minutes slower over my 12-mile commute than my 25mm tyres drop bar road bike on the same route.

Why the CX bike? Because the roads and bike lanes in Leeds are in an awful condition.

vickster

Legendary Member
Isn't the commute a few miles in SE London? Flat but lots of traffic, lights, junction etc. School holidays should help reduce stop start and improve speed :smile:

Jameshow

Veteran
I switch and change around my bikes ( I have six) my average speed on a MTB is 2 mph slower than I get on a road drop bar bike.

Id agree with that, with a hybrid / cx bike being in the middle...

Isn't the commute a few miles in SE London? Flat but lots of traffic, lights, junction etc. School holidays should help reduce stop start and improve speed :smile:

Over just a couple of urban miles, riding speed is only part of the issue. Optimise your route, know the timing of traffic lights, and speed up your getting ready/cooling down/ locking up routines. Often going like a bat outta hell results in overheating. You then have to wait whilst you dump the heat. Cooling down on the bike is more efficient so roll along the last section. Sometimes it is just as quick to ride at low intensity with no cooldown required.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Over just a couple of urban miles, riding speed is only part of the issue. Optimise your route, know the timing of traffic lights, and speed up your getting ready/cooling down/ locking up routines.

Right ! Well said. And absolutely critical on my urban rides in order to ‘keep speed up’.

Thinking / looking as far ahead as practical ref other road users, watching traffic lights, timings of all things around you, looking for oncoming traffic gaps to nip into, judging pedestrian movements etc etc - can all save more time than “just” pedalling like a maniac.

To really make the most / take advantage of everything you can on a busy urban ride - requires quite some concentration too imo….

Top Bottom