Fitting an indoor tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markstev27

Hi. Any advice on how to get the last part of an indoor tyre on my wheel? I've attached a photo
20240921_145055.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
tyre lever

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Take the tyre off and leave somewhere hot for an hour or two, airing cupboard maybe, we all know what happens when things get warm, valve bit last will give you more room, I notice you have not done this already.

And talc.., industrial strength tyre leavers, swearing, spare inner tubes for the ones you nick...
Try again and this time....

presta

Guru
Swear louder, that'll frighten the thing over the rim.

I once stopped to help a guy who was wheeling his bike with a flat tyre, it was spotless, and by the look of it he'd only just bought it, so he wasn't going to let me touch it, he just expected to use my tools. That was when I realised he was clueless, he looked like a guy who'd gone into a bike shop and come away with all the kit having never cycled before in his life.

Anyhow, when he got the tyre to the critical point and couldn't get it on any further, he started inflating it "to push the tyre onto the rim", and to do that he was screwing my pump directly onto the valve without the hose....

Gunk

Guru
Squeeze the the tyre all the way round and press it hard into the rim, use some soapy solution and rubber gloves to get a grip on the tyre, do NOT use tyre levers, you’ll damage the cord and pinch the tube. I got a Marathon Plus on a Brompton last week at work with no tools, just patience, lots of squeezing and pressing plus soap and water.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
As stated, the trick is to have all of the rest of the tyre right down in the well of the rim, which is easiest when fitting the tyre valve section last as the valve stem occupies the bottom of the well where it is.

If all else fails, these tools are intended to lift the last part of the tyre over the rim. It's best to use the lever to lift the tyre onto the top of the rim flange, then nudge it over by hand, as if the lever hook gets trapped under the bead getting it out is awkward.
Koolstop tire mate, BBB easy tyre fitting tool, VAR lever
The VAR lever is suitable for on the road use, the other two are workshop tools - stronger, but a bit bulky to carry.
The VAR is only average when it comes to removal - if I've a tyre fitted that's tight enough to warrant carrying it, I also carry a pair of steel levers for removal.

silva

Über Member
Two steel shoe pullers and a piece of fabric to not dent the alu rim.
Straight in the middle, insert 1st puller with the fabric over it, then shift the second between the tyre and the first puller.
So that both pullers sit parallel and lined up.
Then pull over both pullers simultaneously. They help eachother / prevent bending.
Then spit on the ground and walk away.
That was how I fitted the latest Schwalbe Marathon Plus.
It's a matter of showing who is the boss. :biggrin:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
And after eventually fitting your 'indoor tyre' (Marathon plus are putty in comparison)...
If you get 'tempted' to test it outside just to see what happens...
That's why tyre comes with a warning... apparently 🤣

screenman

Legendary Member
I go back to my leave it in the airing cupboard post, it just makes fitting a new tyre for the first time really easier, think about what happens to something when it gets warm guys.

vickster

Legendary Member
I go back to my leave it in the airing cupboard post, it just makes fitting a new tyre for the first time really easier, think about what happens to something when it gets warm guys.

Not everyone has a warm airing cupboard though!
I’ve admitted defeat before and just taken the wheel to the LBS to fit for a tenner

screenman

Legendary Member
Not everyone has a warm airing cupboard though!
I’ve admitted defeat before and just taken the wheel to the LBS to fit for a tenner

Do you have a hair dryer? Do you have an oven that you can put it in when it is only warm? The tyre will expand as it gets warmer, not a lot obviously, but enough to make a huge difference to people who struggle to get tyres on. I would also suggest if you are someone who has difficulty with this, do not try fitting tyre inserts; that takes things to a far higher level.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you have a hair dryer? Do you have an oven that you can put it in when it is only warm? The tyre will expand as it gets warmer, not a lot obviously, but enough to make a huge difference to people who struggle to get tyres on. I would also suggest if you are someone who has difficulty with this, do not try fitting tyre inserts; that takes things to a far higher level.

A hairdryer for an hour or two ? 😵‍💫
To put that tyre into the oven, the OP is going to have to take it off the rim again unless he’s got a very big oven :biggrin: He may or may not be willing
Personally I’d come back to it later and then admit defeat and down to the LBS with it :thumbsup:

No idea what a tyre insert is so I won’t be trying those.

Top Bottom