Fireworks season coming up - should fireworks be banned or better regulated to protect pets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gillstay

Veteran
I don't think we should be banning things to save upsetting a pet !! I struggle with people wanting requests for them on the radio.
What is it with dog owners ? Snake and praying mantis owners don't ask for requests or include them in the family, or call the owners Mummy and daddy. Or am I missing something. They are good companions, but they are not the fruit of your loins.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
not sure if they should be banned but i wish they'd stop selling them in Aldi. Our warehouse is getting full with all the Xmas stock starting to come in, then we have three large steel fireworks cabinets with a 1meter exclusion zone around them, taking up the space of around 6 pallets of stock. They just interrupt the already awkward management of our limited storage space.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I don't think we should be banning things to save upsetting a pet !! I struggle with people wanting requests for them on the radio.
What is it with dog owners ? Snake and praying mantis owners don't ask for requests or include them in the family, or call the owners Mummy and daddy. Or am I missing something. They are good companions, but they are not the fruit of your loins.

Gov comment on Fireworks and animals.

According to this the research says 45% of dogs show signs of fear and 79% of horses. What about the other sentient animals kept as pets? Not really looked much further but to write this off as upsetting a pet is a bit of a error on your part IMHO. 45% of dogs equates to about 6.75 million dogs and about 770,000 horses showing signs of fear of fireworks. No idea about cats or other common pets. All these are sentient so is it right that we have this long period of fireworks which cause them fear?

We were in a built up area this weekend and there was a lot of fireworks going off. It was over 2 weeks to bonfire night at that time and apparently it has been going on for longer. I bet it goes on after November 5th too. Perhaps the call for more control over this has a valid argument. Control the sale of fireworks, licence the use of them, etc. There would be no significant loss of fireworks as an entertainment just a control of it to events in a more organised way with limits on the time spread of them being used.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
if they banned 'domestic' fireworks people would only complain that the organised displays are frightening their pets, and call for those to be stopped too.

30 years ago we only had organised displays, and they were in areas of low population density e.g. at Newton Abbot racecourse (the bonfire was in the middle of the stock car racing track until they banned that due to health and safety concerns). Moreover, at least the timing of the displays were advertised and for one night only, I think it only lasted 20 minutes, and then silence for the rest of the night. We also went to one last year which was in a field in the middle of nowhere. Minimal disruption and only loud fireworks for 25 minutes or so. I'm a pet owner and know lots of other pet owners; nearly all of whom are not complaining about half an hour or so on the 5th of November, but at the scores of other people letting them off all week long in their gardens

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
if they banned 'domestic' fireworks people would only complain that the organised displays are frightening their pets, and call for those to be stopped too.

There are very few organised displays in Greater Manchester - a lot of the council's have cancelled them.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
30 years ago we only had organised displays, and they were in areas of low population density e.g. at Newton Abbot racecourse (the bonfire was in the middle of the stock car racing track until they banned that due to health and safety concerns). Moreover, at least the timing of the displays were advertised and for one night only, I think it only lasted 20 minutes, and then silence for the rest of the night. We also went to one last year which was in a field in the middle of nowhere. Minimal disruption and only loud fireworks for 25 minutes or so. I'm a pet owner and know lots of other pet owners; nearly all of whom are not complaining about half an hour or so on the 5th of November, but at the scores of other people letting them off all week long in their gardens

50 years ago we were buying 'bangers' for weeks before Bonfire night then one lad whose father was a farmer introduced us to 'crow scarers', basically a strip of large bangers with an interconnected slow fuse so that one would go off every 15-20 minutes. Designed to mimic the sound of a shotgun being fired they were a lot louder and enterprising youths could separate them from the back board and remove the slow fuse to just leave a little bit still attached to the igniter fuse. Made a heck of a racket if you chucked one up an Entry in terraced houses.

Boxes of 'Standard Fireworks' were common but too expensive for us (that was Dad's job to buy those) but pretty much every family had a selection box of Roman Candles, Catherine Wheels, Jumping Jacks, Rockets and Air Bombs with a packet of the most dangerous 'Sparklers'.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran

Not the point I was making. Planned ones happen once. General public ones happen for about 3 or 4 weeks long. I am not calling for no fireworks just not 4 weeks plus of them. All stressed out animals will cope with one event per year for Bonfiree night but day in day out after it gets dark is compounding.

What you are saying is do not tackle the extended firework season in case all fireworks get banned. I and all animal charities that campaign on firework related issues are not calling for a ban. There is only a call for awareness and possibly thought put to reducing the number of nights that they are let off.

We enjoy them too, it is just that our dogs and other animals do not enjoy them. It is simply the case that 4 weeks is just too long for them when the October / November fireworks season comes along.

Top Bottom