Fantasy Books -Terry Pratchett

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Guru
Dug out my copy of lord of the rings as i have not read it in a long time and as its a paperpack with all 3 books the print is so small i cant read it properly even with my glasses on unless i hold it about 3 foot away

View attachment 747164

We have the standard three volume version, but also have "luxury" copy, which is a single harback volume in a box, with very thin paper and small print.

Alex321

Guru
Not fantasy so much but I got a book secondhand called Storyland by Amy Jeffs. It is British mythology. I guess it will have plenty of giants and the linkage with Biblical tales or characters so much part of British myth. Too big for a holiday book though.
Holiday books for me are supposed to be big, otherwise I'll have finished them in a day or two. I prefer to only take 2-3 large books than several smaller ones.

BTW I was looking in the library link in the village for a holiday book. Plenty of selection of crime thriller page turners I was looking for. However I noticed that even the paperbacks had grown to a larger size. I mean hardbacks are usually a bigger book than they would be as a paperback, but in the library the paperbacks were bigger than the old hardbacks used to be and the hardbacks were almost A4 in size!!! Have books become bigger of late or is my memory playing up? Could it just be the ones they stocked?

Yes, I think they have got quite a bit larger. Not in page size so much, but much thicker IME than they used to be. Most of my older novels (30 years or more old) are between 3/4" and 1" thick. Many now are 2" or more.

icowden

Veteran
Holiday books for me are supposed to be big, otherwise I'll have finished them in a day or two. I prefer to only take 2-3 large books than several smaller ones.
Holiday books for me sit inside my kindle. Our recent holiday to Malaysia for our 20th wedding anniversary was hard enough - 3 weeks and only a 20kg baggage allowance - without adding the weight of books in!

NB - we ended up paying for an extra 5kg anyway!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have read all the Pratchett books available in our local library but that is really only scratching the surface. The librarian has been trying to get others from the central library but I think they just ignore her.
Currently I have got The Thief of Time which I am rereading.

I have read all the Pratchett books available in our local library but that is really only scratching the surface. The librarian has been trying to get others from the central library but I think they just ignore her.
Currently I have got The Thief of Time which I am rereading.
ToT is a low key favourite of mine as it has Susan in it who weaponises chocolate, and the idea of travel 'slicing' is also brilliant and nothing that another author could have come up with.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Dug out my copy of lord of the rings as i have not read it in a long time and as its a paperpack with all 3 books the print is so small i cant read it properly even with my glasses on unless i hold it about 3 foot away

View attachment 747164

Kindle is your friend. Or a large print version. Libraries get large print books so there must be versions of LotR in large print by now.

icowden

Veteran
Kindle is your friend. Or a large print version. Libraries get large print books so there must be versions of LotR in large print by now.
Indeed - there is also the Libby App which allows you to download library e-books (although it can be difficult to find any to take out in my experienve)

icowden

Veteran
I dont have a kindle or tablet
Well, that's your Christmas list written...

Top Bottom