Fantasy Books -Terry Pratchett

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just catching up
I had forgotten about Feist - wonderful epic series - well worth reading

and yes - Thomas Covernant was a struggle - all 3 times!

as far as Kindles are concerned I pretty much only read books on mine - never read "real" books anymore
I have discussed this with several people of different viewpoints
I think it depends on your mindset - to me the story and the characters are everything and anything getting in the way is unwelcome
including turning a page especially if I am e.g. lying on my side so the "other" hand is not where the book is - I find the kindle much easier and enhances the experience
I have met other people for whom the tactile feel of the book is a large part of the experience

as far as holidays are concerned I can easily get through 3-6 books on a holiday so using my Kindle helps a lot with packing
it also makes it easy to switch to something lighter for a while when a book is getting a bit heavy in terms of content

my wife would get through even more books - even in a normal week

BTW - I get most of my books from Amazon - because it is easy and I can wait and get them on offers

but I do get some from other places - some of which as free
you can get them onto a computer and email it to the kindle - there is an email address in the setting section
You just need to be aware that it only goes to that device - so it doesn;t appear on other things like tablets or phones unless you email it to their different address as well

icowden

Veteran
I'd like to see a live-action that was true to the (or 'a') book, like Going Postal was, or as close as it could be
If a Watch programme was made, I'd suggest Geraldine James as Lady Sybil (Lady Maud, in the TV adaptation of 'Blott On The Landscape')
Enjoyed the railways in Raising Steam with the idea of 'live steam' taken to its literal conclusion
There actually is one called "The Watch", but it's not very faithful to the books.

After the 9 October 2020 New York Comic Con panel, Rhianna Pratchett stated it shared "no DNA with my father's Watch",[44] and Neil Gaiman compared the series to "Batman if he's now a news reporter in a yellow trenchcoat with a pet bat".[45]

icowden

Veteran
as far as Kindles are concerned I pretty much only read books on mine - never read "real" books anymore
Same here. I absolutely love real books, but the turning point was the realisation that when my wife turns the light off to go to sleep which she then does in under 3 minutes, I can keep reading on my ipad kindle app with white writing on a black background until the point at which my brain is tired enough to let me sleep.

I don't know how people can just fall asleep. I've tried it and my brain just goes into overdrive, usually wanting to look something up because I've just thought about it and don't know the answer, which then means I can't sleep because I want to know the answer. A good book on the other hand occupies the brain and gives it something to think about as you fly to a new world.

Same here. I absolutely love real books, but the turning point was the realisation that when my wife turns the light off to go to sleep which she then does in under 3 minutes, I can keep reading on my ipad kindle app with white writing on a black background until the point at which my brain is tired enough to let me sleep.

I don't know how people can just fall asleep. I've tried it and my brain just goes into overdrive, usually wanting to look something up because I've just thought about it and don't know the answer, which then means I can't sleep because I want to know the answer. A good book on the other hand occupies the brain and gives it something to think about as you fly to a new world.

I am the same as your wife - well, as far as sleep is concerned - I just lie down and go to sleep

My wife is like you - she reads until she feels like she is likely to sleep if she tries - which can be several hours later

the light on her Kindle is great for her as she doesn;t have to have a light on which helps me and also means the room is darker which helps her

Yes, I saw about 5 minutes of it
If I'd never read the books, it might have been...... erm.......watchable

I watched it all, I've been meaning to rewatch :laugh: it for a while. To me it wasn't a bad fantasy police series, but it was a bad adaption of the Discworld Watch. The trouble is it uses so many plot points and characters (and a jumbled mess of story points as well) from Discworld it can only be called an adaptation and thats why its bad. If they'd written a decent original story, of a fantasy police force in a fairy tale setting, the same production/acting (which I thought was pretty good) would probably get more praise.

Along those lines and its a video game but The Wolf Among Us is kind of this where a Sheriff has to investigate a murder in a fantasy town, all sorts of characters pop up so its certainly a concept thats possible without the Discworld base.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Just googled the Watch tv series. I remember it and it was a bit meh! Not very good as a programme but if it is not in line with the books then it has even less value I reckon.

icowden

Veteran
Yes, I saw about 5 minutes of it
If I'd never read the books, it might have been...... erm.......watchable
I dunno - the jury is still out on that one. It made neither Pratchett fans nor non-Pratchett fans happy. A huge achievement!

Just googled the Watch tv series. I remember it and it was a bit meh! Not very good as a programme but if it is not in line with the books then it has even less value I reckon.

I seem to remember it - I was looking forward to it until I saw a trailer

which sounder a few hundred alarms

but it was, as has been said, OK as a fantasy based Police thingy

but The Watch is wasn't - way past the point of being an adaption more of a " we got some names and a few of the ideas for the city from and I think the actors have read the books and know about the characters"

Top Bottom